Do you ever feel like your child is smarter than what the teacher is saying?

When I study with my children they do well unless they are being silly other than that the teacher sends a note saying this or that about them.
My husband is like just chalk it up as nothing the teacher is probably so busy with all the other kids she has to show her work somehow. Yes we need to practice at home with them but to say that they need some kind of help. I don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be that you child is "acting silly" more with the teacher than with you. When there are 20 children in the room trying to learn the same thing, "acting silly" wont get you a whole lot of positive attention. I would sit down with the tteacher and get the root of the problem. Maybe teacher would let you come observe what she sees, by sitting in on class for a day or two, in the back of the room, not to help or interfere, just to see. Maybe your child is shy and not responding to questioning. It could be a number of things! Good parents will take the time to investigate! teacher shouldn't be offeneded with that as long as you keep a level head about the situation.

Anonymous

• It could be that the studnet to teacher ratio is so high she can't spend enough time with them to get a really good idea how smart they are. It could be that you are slightly biased as the parent and see what you want to see. It is impossible to tell just from what you have said. You could have an assesment done by a third party, maybe a private tutor or someone if it is a concern. Maybe it is not the right school for the children or maybe there is something to what the teacher is saying?
    AprilD32

Answer by AprilD32 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I knew that both of my kids had a learning disability. The oldest is verbally dyslexic and the younger is math dyslexic. It took my oldest threatening suicide to finally get her tested. I screamed and yelled and hollard and stamped my feet. The second one was informally tested at age 8 and formally tested in the 7th grade where the disability was found. Both times I'd been told I was wrong. Trust your gut as a Mom. There is a chance that there is a personality problem between the teacher and your child. It could be the teacher is right. Are they a good teacher according to other parents. Does anyone else have a problem with them?  Ask around.  But your child education is to important to do nothing about this

granmaw56

Answer by granmaw56 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2008