Can I save money this way?

I spend about $50 a month buying ground beef and chicken breasts. However, we are getting sick of these things, and honestly I'm running out of ways to cook them! Can I save money by buying more things like roasts and whole birds?

lilbit837

Asked by lilbit837 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Heck yes! You can also save time, because a single bird or roast can be used for several meals. A whole chicken or turkey can be used like this: Roast the bird, and serve for dinner. Afterwards, remove the remaining meat, and set aside. Use the carcass to make broth/stock. Use the meat for enchiladas, tacos, flautas, potpie, chicken/turkey salad, etc. Use the broth as a base for soup.

Roasts: buy a bone in roast, and serve roast one night. Trim the bones, simmer for stock to use for stew, soup, etc. Slice or shred the remaining meat, and use for sandwiches, tacos, enchiladas, shepherd's pie, etc.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Whole chickens are definitely cheaper....try buying sausage for a change to make classics like spagetti, chili, or lasagna. It's cheaper and has a very different taste. I also like to buy things in bulk and split them up before freezing them to save money.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would think it would all equal about the same in the end. You could substitute turkey for ground beef. It is better for you and has a great taste! You can use eggs, they make a cheap, fast dinner too. Make mac and cheese, spaghetti, thinks like that.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• we make barbeque sausage, and there are meals that are in the box(i am not really a cook) and they have all kinds of things and everything you need is in the box for like 3 bucks. we also like the variety of hamburger helpers they have in the stores.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Buy whole chickens when they are really cheap on sale, that would be a savings. Chicken thighs would be something else less expensive. Baked beans with a little meat in them make a nutritious meal. Soups. Cut up the chicken breasts if you like those and use them in casseroles, stew, soup.

Answer by Bmat at 8:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Yes whole chicken is what we do for sure it will save money. We like to make enchiladas, taquitos, fajitas, chicken soup. The funny thing is that hubby still cuts it for me. Oh yeah we slow cook roast beef and shred it and put it on tostadas. We make pot roast with carrots, celery, potatoes. I'm getting hungry. You can also do roast beef sandwiches.

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We get our meats from Sams Club too
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Whole chickens are so versatile AND cheaper! I love beer can chicken, or putting it in a crock pot til it falls apart for soup.. the other day I butterflied a chicken and roasted it on high heat.. it was crispy & delicious.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If you stock up on meats then that saves money for the rest of the items you need to fix the meat with. Try bratz or I find pork chops and roasts on sale often...just watch sales adds and make a plan to buy what is on sale for the month.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:35 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Whole chickens are far cheaper than just breasts. However I have an entire family of white meat eaters only. I do buy boneless, skinless, frozen chicken breast on sale. I usually get this for $1.99 a lb or less. I buy large quantities when it's on sale.

I also pick up boneless center cut pork loins on sale. I have the grocery store slice if for me. Then I bring it home and wrap up and freeze it in meal sized portions. The nice cuts are great for pork chops. The slightly poorer quality end I diced up for stir fry or soup, and the really fatty end gets ground up for ground pork. (I have a meat grinder attachment on my kitchen center).

I watch the sales and rarely have to pay more than $1.69 - $2.19 a lb for ground round, ground chuck, chicken breast, pork loin, or sausage.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2008