How is inducing different than making yourself go into labor?

I am 38 weeks and I really don't want to be induced. I have a lot of painful contractions every night, and soo much pressure (and pain) down there. I am so ready to be done with being pregnant! What is the difference between bringing on labor (sex, walking, etc) and being induced with drugs? Is bringing it on yourself just as safe for the baby as letting it happen naturally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• inducing is when the doc thinks its ok to have the baby.
    making yourself is usully b4 the doc thinks the baby is ready.

also inducing is 100% effective for starting labor the wife tales dont always work. annd usully no harm comes of the baby if the doc induces you
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Inducing is done with medicine also and more than likely they will break your water.

Anonymous

• That is false. Induction with medicine is far from 100% effective and can cause fetal distress or not work/not work fast enough for the doctor and then you end up with an unplanned c-section. The best way to get things moving on your own is squatting. If your body and your baby are ready you will go into labor.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• inducing also means.. once they started.. there is no way back.. the contractions will come heavy and painful.. more than when you let it happen naturally.. thats what my midwife and my OB told me.

if you dont want to get induced, then nobody can force you.. unless you are 41 weeks along and its necessary... if there is harm for the baby and you then its possible they will induce you.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• You cant make your self "go into labor" If your body and baby are not ready then all the sex a walking in the world wont make it happen. But with medical induction there is a risk to the baby as well as you and it forces your body to do something it may not be ready to do.
    Anonymous

• i tried to bring it on myself for 2 weeks nothing happened i had contracts for 4 weeks the dr put me in to induce on a monday i was indue for 20 hr nothing happened when they started the induction i was one cent dialated and 50 effaced well 20 hrs later i was still at a 1 and 80 effaced ended up with a csection cause my baby was to big to drop he was born the next day
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Let the baby come naturally. I was induced with my last and let me tell you it hurt like hell. I mean it was like pushing two babies out instead of one. I would not recommend it unless you medically have to have it. I am so serious it really hurt, more than natural labor.
    cherrera5

Answer by cherrera5 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2008