Language emersion kindergarten or 1st grade

He's not quite a year yet but depending on the language we pick we have to get him on the list when he's 2 or 3 and we are kind of bottom priority because we don't live in that district but the one south of it so we'd also need to get a waiver.

So Mandarin,Spanish or French which one would you do? I'm leaning towards Spanish or French because someone in the family speaks it and they just sound more useful.
If you've done language emersion with your kids are you happy with the program?

I'm just reviewing our options we may not even do it or even be living in this area but the school district we live in kinda sucks so if we already have to get a waiver to attend I'd kind like to review everything.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would go with Spanish because it is useful. But if you have someone around who speaks both, he can learn one now then learn the other one easily. French and Spanish have the base, but because French has more irregular verbs, then it's easier to learn Spanish if you already speak French... at least that's what my French teacher told us.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I've taken both and once you get the latin base it's fairly easy to pick it up in latin based languages(it also helped a little with med term).
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would say Spanish bc its used so much more in general or in the United States at least. Dont know where you are living or plan to live but I'd do Spanish presonally.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Utah, we have whole sections of the city I'm from where you have to know at least a little Spanish to function. It is sounding more practical because we might be moving to Arizona.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I was REALLY into immersion (going for French, bien sur!), it was a priority, but then I discovered other things: that the philosophy of education was a priority over the language.
    We chose Waldorf which has PT immersion, not *true* immersion... I know!

But I think it depends on *your* priorities.
    I can only say that respecting a child as a unique individual was more important that what *I* wanted, so I had to readjust my theory and parenting and children's education...

Good luck!
    Bon chance~~

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2011