Is it possible that dogs can be mentally challenged like humans can be?

I have raised animals all my life, of many types. Currently we have 6 furkids. All of them have a personality of their own. Being an empty nester, we now consider them as our furkids. :) Love them all to death but one in particular has me wondering if there is such a malady in dogs. He's part Pomeranian, Terrier, Doxie and Chihuahua. We have 2 other of his brothers. One from the same litter, one from a later one. The one that was born with him is so smart, it's scarey! I tell my husband that I think something happened when genes were splitting and he must have gotten more of that smart gene than Baby. Baby looks like a pure Chihuahua. He's feeble, has the apple dome head and eyes. However he is skinny as if he's malnourished, altho he checked out fine w/ the Vet. His tail has never 'worked'. It doesn't wag at all. He's a very finicky eater, doesn't seem to understand anything other than being loved. He's 2 yrs old now and I think that development wise, he's got the mentality of a 4 mo old pup. I honestly do think something is wrong w/ him mentally. Not that it would matter to us one bit, just wondering. :)

forest_hermit

Asked by forest_hermit at 12:33 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Pets

• yes, of course. I had a Lab once who was memtally challenged.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 12:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• LOL I dont know if they have disabilites but sure would explain a lot hahahahaha
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• my sister's dog is dumb as a brick. sweet thing, but stupid. I think he is mentally challenged. So yes, I think it is absolutely possible!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My old neighbors had an Irish setter that would get loose all the time and get lost in their neighborhood. They had to drive around looking for him cause he never could find his way home.

Too much inbreeding is not always a good thing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes I do believe dogs can be mentally disabled. Just like people, they can develope diseases such as alzimers, they can get cancer, and even have feelings similar to humans. So, dogs are a lot like us. Or did anyone drop him on his head? :)
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 2:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes, it is very possible. I used to work at the vets and I have seen many cases where dogs or cats have mental issues. Dogs even have cancers and brain disabilities like humans such as epilepsy
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• We took our lab/boxer mix to the vet a few months ago and they told us that they think he has neurological issues because he is alittle slow in responses. He is almost 6 years old and we've had him since he was 9 weeks old.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes, some are bred better than others (furkids - love that term!)
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2011