How would you answer this question?

I was thinking about when I was younger and I asked my parents what we were,you know racially and Dad told me American which was a nice way to say very mixed, my Husband's family is also mixed.

What do you even answer when it asks race and your white,american indian and hispanic(I know that it's an ethnicity not a race but you still have to pick if your hispanic non white or white non hispanic on forms)? I always answer other but it kind of seems like the cop out answer and DH just decided that checking white is the easiest with occasionally answering white non hispanic and hispanic non white just because it's non sensical.

Or you know when you want to know where your families are from and you have to give them a list of 15 different countries. Is there a better answer then my Father's we're American answer in that case?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• My answer is always the same, I'm Native American. What really peeves me is when people ask "What are you?" or "Whats in you?" I'm not exactly sure what would be a good answer for a person of culturally diverse heritage would be. Just check the "other" box and say you're confused.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I actually know exactly what I am (French/German/Irish/Japanese), but I've heard a lot of my friends parents say they're "mutts" or "mixed". Mutts is not in a bad way, just sort of poking fun at they're a bag of mixed nuts.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 1:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• We used the term mutts too,I used to say it made me feel closer to the our dog. I know it sounds kind of bad but I was very close to that dog.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I also say Mutt. When my son was in first grade, he was assigned a project to make a paper doll that represents his heritage. He's around 9 different ones, and I thought the assignment was incredibly stupid, so this is what we ended up with.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I was born in America, so I am an American...of Polish, English, Irish and Canadian decent
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2011