Highchair problems

My 5 month old has been eating solids for a month - stage one. I just moved her from the bouncer to the highchair and it was a disaster! She hates it and I can't figure out why. I used to feed her in the bouncer, which I strapped her into just like in a highchair, but she bounces in it so much now that it makes feeding her hard (and amusing). I tried giving her a toy, but she just wants to hold the toy and push it into her mouth so I can't feed her. She is not a big eater at all, I am just doing this for learning purposes, but I don't want her screaming in the highchair. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep trying it every few days. Does she eat more than one meal during the day? Try it in the morning versus the evening when she's more apt to be in a better mood. You could also try setting her in there for a couple minutes during the day with a toy when it's not time to eat so she gets used to it and learns to like being in there.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 8:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• when you say highchair.. are you talking about the chair where she has to sit up by herself? like real sitting on her butt and not laying on her back a little...

if so, then thats why. because a 5month old isnt suppose to sit up.. it can hurt their spine... before 10months a baby should not sit up... always lay on the back (not flat/straight on the back) but sitting for more than 2-4 minutes is torture for a 5month old... :-/ ...

^^ thats what my midwife and the pediatrician told me... so i didnt let my child sit up for longer than 2-4 minutes before she was 10months old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• So m.robertson, the fact that my 7 month old sits up on her own for 10-15 mins at a time is a bad thing and I should discourage that?!

I think that if the baby is supported in the highchair then there shouldn't be a problem, and baby may just need some getting used to it. Try putting her in it when she isn't eating, just to introduce it more.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My baby is almost 5 months. He LOVES to sit up and he likes to play in his highchair. So I would try offering toys so she is used to the chair when it's not meal time like the pp suggested.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I'm not disputing what m.robertson811 is saying because I haven't heard that before and I'm sure her doctors know more than I do. I just wanted to add that my daughter has been in her high chair since she was 5 months and never cried about it once and it's one that sits up right. I'm a firm believer in chiropractic care so what she's saying makes some sense but maybe not every baby feels uncomfortable sitting up.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 8:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Well you shouldn't be feeding your daughter anything but breast milk or formula before she's 6 months old. That is what the World Health Organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the US Department of Health and Human Services and UNICEF all say. Her digestive system is just not ready for solids. Please check out this article:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• CarolynBarnett, thats what my pediatrician and midwife said. I didnt make this up. Even my mother told me about this too. I always wanted to sit my daughter up for pictures and stuff and everybody told me: "dont do that. its not good for the spine!"... so i didnt do that anymore.

And i agree with flalbert. some babies probably dont feel uncomfortable by sitting up so early already. A friend of mine had her baby sitting up since she was 4months old. If that is good for back and spine is a different story though.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• and what PhilsBabyMama says.. mhh about the food.. i think thats kind of bullshit.... Maybe you should go to a baby food store and read what all those foods say... not sure about all the diff. kinds of baby foods in the states.. (only saw a few)... but here in Germany you can buy babyfood for 4+months.. because thats when you start feeding cereals ect (the 1st stage of solids).

here its in german, but on the top left it says "4".. which means age: 4months:
    http://images.ciao.com/ide/images/products/normal/086/product-2257086.jpg

there is apple and cookie taste ;).. and this company "HIPP".. is the best you can get for money and babies ;).. all organic ect.

And I trust my midwife and pediatrician more than people (World Health Organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the US Department of Health and Human Services and UNICEF) who only go by books ect. Experience counts more for me. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2008