Should I buy my boyfriends son a Christmas present?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost two years. He has a nine year old son who I have never met and the child does not know about me. My boyfriend is buying my three kids a Christmas present. I was thinking about getting him a deck of UNO cards and maybe a little sketch pad and some colored pencils. What do you think? Suggestions welcome..thanks.

angie729

Asked by angie729 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in About CafeMom

• It's not a bad idea if you can afford it. I wouldn't go overboard though.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• it would be a nice gesture IMHO

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• All kids should get gifts esp. if you are involved with the parents...
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 8:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Why doesn't the kid know about you?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree that it would be a nice gesture, but why after 2 years does the kid not know about you?! Does the mom know? It might be kinda weird for him to get a gift from someone he doesn't even know exists...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• His son does not know about me because his divorce is not final...he wants to wait untill thats over.
    angie729

Answer by angie729 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would, especially if he's buying yours gifts and also if you've been together for two years. For a nine year old boy I'd ask your boyfriend if he's got a handheld game system, if so, ask him if he's got any objections to any types of games out there, many boys go pokemon crazy, but there are also other great games for these systems :-) If you're thinking art, I'd get him an art kit that open and closes and is full of all kinds of stuff, they are usually marked down on price decent sized ones at local art supplies stores, costco, and sams club, or ask your boyfriend how well he reads and get him a book based on his reading level.  A remote control car is another idea, but I'd check the game system first :-)  goodluck!

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• His son does not know about me because his divorce is not final...he wants to wait until that's over.

Oooh, in that case I'd buy him something, wrap it up and have it for when you do meet him :-) I also forgot sports stuff like ball, bat and glove, or soccer/basketball... but yeah, I can understand how you feel... maybe ask your boyfriend tell him you want to buy something for his son, but understand him not wanting to share you with him until the divorce is through, and that you will get something and put it back... this lets your boyfriend know you do care about his son, and respect his wishes. :-)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2008