Changingroom Dilema

When taking my 5yr old boy swimming at our local pool we always try to find a family cubicle but if ones not available i will take him into the ladies with me. I thought this was just the normal as i always see other moms doing this even with slightly older boys. I read a magazine article the other day saying that at around 3-4 moms should be covered up around there boys. This really got me thinking what else can us single moms do. We cant send them into the mens by themselves. I am perfectly comfortable changing infront of my son. What do other moms do?

Emma.s

Asked by Emma.s at 4:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Emma that is exactly what most moms do so really dont worry about it. My 6 yr old goes everywhere with me even if were out about and i need a wee then he's comming in with me.lol. At the end of the day he knows the differnces between girls and boys and like you im comfortable being undressed infront of him. Its all about his safety.
    liz.w

Answer by liz.w at 5:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You aren't going to scar your child by having them see a naked person. There are whole communities of people who live every day - just walking around - with far fewer clothes than we wear. Relax. :)
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You're not going to feel "safe" sending him into a men's room even when he's 7 or 8 probably though because..he's still a child and unable to defend himself. He needs you for that. However, by the time he's actually in 2nd grade, you can bet that someone would gladly make an issue out of the fact that your 2nd grade boy is seeing your body naked. I doubt it would be very pretty issue , if you get my meaning. (people love to make alot of noise over things) So,what will you do then? Risk him telling his teacher possibly that he sees his mommy naked? You can always make him face the opposite direction from where you are changing. Same goes for single dads changing in front of little girls. I wouldn't want my daughter seeing her fathers' "danglies", lol. No Thanks. So, ...she would have to turn the other way if that was the only way for them to remain safely together. I agree that you cannot send children into bath-rms alone
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• quoted by DrDonna [There are whole communities of people who live every day - just walking around - with far fewer clothes than we wear. Relax. :)]
    TRUE, there are whole communities but...they don't run around this way out in the general public because of their 'nakedness', they usually congregate together out of the general public eye and...families don't run around naked in front of each other either, as comfortable as you make it sound,LOL. Scar? Maybe not scar but...impressionable at young ages, yes. People interpreting a situation wrong.., yes. It happens quite often actually. Parents being questioned for things like this. You try to explain it away and still..some people only WANT to see the perverse side of things. I'm just saying.......it DOES happen.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would probably do the same thing in ur situation!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 10:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Our gym has a FAMILY CHANGING ROOM for moms with toddler boys. The women's locker room states no boys over age 4 allowed.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Hi Emma. I answered in the Single Mom's group, but different people might be reading here. Don't believe everything you read in a magazine. As long as you and your son are comfortable, do as you like. The only problem would be if one of the other ladies in the change room complained, but that hasn't happened and they do it too. I've never been uncomfortable changing in front of my son and vice versa.
    Erika38

Answer by Erika38 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011