Changingroom Dilema

When taking my 5yr old boy swimming at our local pool we always try to find a family cubicle but if ones not available i will take him into the ladies with me. I thought this was just the normal as i always see other moms doing this even with slightly older boys. I read a magazine article the other day saying that at around 3-4 moms should be covered up around there boys. This really got me thinking what else can us single moms do. We cant send them into the mens by themselves. I am perfectly comfortable changing infront of my son. What do other moms do?

Emma.s

Asked by Emma.s at 4:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, I would recommend covering up as best you can. My nephew is five and he is starting to notice thing that he shouldn't notice. He walked into my room once while I was changing and said loudly "Aunt Sophie, your boobs are enormous!" I understand that you are single and can't send him into the men's room alone. When my sisters and I take the kids to the pool then we have to take the boys in the changing room with us, but we do cover up as best we can because that is the age that they start to notice things and, at that point, you should protect your modesty and his innocent eyes.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Id honestly do whatever you were comfortable with. You never know who will be in change rooms so Id rather be safe than sorry and keep my lil ones with me!
    vickiw89

Answer by vickiw89 at 5:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Keep him with you! But you don't have to strip naked in front of him and wiggle it around; I mean, you can turn away, cover with a towel, whatever, so you change discretely and modestly. I'd say that's acceptable right up to age 8 or 9 even...My little boy is 7 (nearly 8) and I'd certainly be happy to do that with him, and I would not send him to change alone in the mens' room.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• What is a family-cubicle? That sounds like something perverted and disgusting to me! I am wondering why you are even asking this, you really, truly give a shit? That is the odd part to me! I do my best to teach my son to rebel against these NEW dumb-ass social rules people have come up with. If you put a bit of thought into this shit (I don't know ur age), but when I was growing up it was not a big deal if a 5 year old saw their mother or father naked (regardless of gender) and hey wow it also was not even nearly as common for our "babies to be having babies" either. HMMMMMMM?????
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 5:25 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I was a singe mom when my son was that age and i took him in with me when i needed to. We usually found a corner locker area 7 changed there. Not so that Others around us were comfortable, but so that he was comfortable. Basically it boils down to doing whatever you and your child are comfortable with. One time my son INSISTED on going into the mens changing room so I spoke with the desk person and he cleared out the changing room and he and I both stood outside the door so that no one could go in until my son came out. Obviously that isn't going to happen in a lot of places, but it was a great boost of independance for my son & made him feel like a big boy!
    PS, I am all for family changing rooms and bathrooms.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 5:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• What magazine, just curious? We have some bizarrely Puritanical views on the naked body in the US. There is a big difference between nudity & sexuality but we don't seem to be able to draw that distinction. You should follow your own good instincts. He's 5 years old, you're his mom - if he sees you naked, so what? This isn't going to scar him in any way. And you're right - he's much too young to be in the men's room without you.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would not be concerned so much with my child weeing me naked I would be concerned for the other women and girls in there who knew he, a stranger, was seeing them naked. I would just wait for a stall in the family room to open. No if the changing room sin the Ladies is separate cubicles and not a community changing room then that is different. This is just my Opinion. I know I would not be comfortable with a child I am not related to seeing me or my DD naked. No good reason, it would just make me uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• *seeing not weeing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You know what I took that as you would take him into the womens if the family room was full. I decided that is not what you meant. If there is not one there then of course you HAVE to take him into the womens room. I would just rush him to a stall and usher him out again quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I know this sounds simple, but why not just wear your suits to the pool and then sit around in the sun for 15-20 minutes and dry out before heading home. No need to worry about the changing rooms then.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2011