Ugh Landlord....

My actual Landlord lives in another state and I've never met him. But his brother lives in town and manages teh house for him. When Dh and I first moved into the house it was really bad. We had to spend ALOT of time cleaning and painting and what not. Well the people that manage the house are sooooo anal! They called me at work one day because the wicker table on the front porch had blown off and was laying in the yard for two days *we don't use the front porch, I don't even go on that side of the house, so I didn't know it was off*. Then they sent us a nasty letter in Feb. because they came out and dug up trash under the leaves and snow from the previous tenant. It was stuff like popcicle sticks, and pudding cups, things you could tell were from last Summer. Well the actaul owner is in town this week and wants to come look at the house. I am freaking out. I just feel like they are going to judege me. My house is clean. It's not perfect ,but it's clean. I work a full time a day job and on-call night job, and I have an 18mo old baby. Dh works like 13 hours a day in a factory. We haven't even been home this week to mow the lawn and I know he's going to say something about that. I just feel so nervous! Does anyone else have overly anal landllords? How do you deal with them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Just be accommodating or you may end up looking for another place to live! I would tidy up the best way you can before he gets there and if anything is mentioned he has an issue with just kindly explain to him that you've both been working so much but you will take care of it. I know it's nerve racking but like I said ...unless you want to start looking for another place, tell him what he wants to hear. Oh yeh, don't forget to mention anything you see needs fixed that's his responsibility!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I am a landlord. I get summons from the city when the tenants do not mow the lawn. That means they require me to come to court. When I get a summons, I notify the tenant and if the tenant does not respond and take care of the problem, I send a person to do the mowing and charge the tenant. I also get summons when the tenants have disabled cars and other junk in their yard. Again I notify them and ask that they take care of it.
    I very seldom go into the house while the tenant is there except to repair and maintain. When I do go in, I am not looking at the clutter and average living conditions. I am looking for damage and things that cause unhealthy conditions. Leaving food out and dirty dishes cause roaches and ants. This is general sanitary conditions that must be maintained. When one tenant brings roaches they spread through out the development and are a major problem. continued
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• my landlord is pretty bad tooo, BUT HE LIVES NEXT DOOR!! We went on vacation back in February (he knew we had gone) and when i got back there was three letters from him about the lawn being over grown and he had cut it himself! He comes over when the wind is heavy and knocks over the garbage cans or if my son leaves his toys in the yard!!! Such a pain!!! meanwhile the guy uses 3/4 of my yard for his boats and trailers and his damn goats!!! He didnt tell us he lived next door when we signed the lease and he didnt mention anything about the goats either!
    jaydonsmommy75

Answer by jaydonsmommy75 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Water left to collect on floors and cupboards cause mold and rotting. This is very expensive to repair. Landlords have mortgage, taxes, insurance and repair expense. When tenants do not take care of the property this is increased and the value of the property declines. If the property was in poor shape when you moved in, you should have noted it and perhaps not moved there.
    I have property at the very high end and also the low end. If a tenant rents a low end unit, they should know that they are not going to have top appliances, fixtures, etc. It should be clean when they moved in and things should be working. It is the tenants responsibility to maintain the premises.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have a great landlord. When we moved in. there it was a mess. It still had stuff from the people before us. She got a dumpster and we didn't have to pay rent for a while until we got the house back in shape and she payed for all materials. Now the house is better. She still take money off the rent for any work we do to the house.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2011