Why for BF moms sleep is not a problem?

A mother complains about not being able to sleep because her formula fed baby won't sleep through the night. Another mom advises that breastfeeding is the solution why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• because you can easily whip your boob & out sleep while they eat. But, we co-slept. So, when my baby was hungry, I'd just roll over & whip it out & sleep while she drank. I got plenty of sleep when my DD was a baby.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Having BF my son, I think it is because you can do it half-asleep. You just pull out a breast, no messing with bottles.

But, it isn't like BF is the solution to all problems. I was super tired when my son was little because even though I didn't have to make a bottle, I was still getting woken up every few hours plus, I was BF which taxes your energy. And, BF babies generally eat more often than bottle fed babies.

Bottom line, you don't get a lot of sleep when you have an infant - however you feed them.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I cant remember the exact medical term lol but basically when breastfeeding a chemical is released in the mothers brain that relaxes them, which is why you will hear bf moms say they fall asleep or feel like they will fall asleep while bfing.

Answer by gemgem at 7:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I never lost any sleep while cosleeping and breastfeeding because night feedings weren't any more complicated than rolling over, neither me or baby even had to fully wake up. Not sure, but maybe that's why someone would say that? When I think of a mom waking to a hungry baby, making a bottle, feeding baby, getting baby back to sleep, laying them down, then trying to get back to sleep herself.. I feel like what I did at night was a piece of cake in comparison.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Both of the above are correct. When DS2 was born, he was too small to latch. Just having to go downstairs and get a bottle woke me more than nursing him did. One of the hormones released during breastfeeding relaxes both mom and baby so both get back to sleep easier.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Because you can breastfed half asleep. No bottle to make or warm or rinse out. Walk into the room feed half asleep in a rocker head back to bed Or you can technically co-sleep with a breast fed baby and never leave your bed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Like others have said, it's for the convenience factor. Of course, BF babies need to eat a lot more often so even though you can just flop out a boob, you will still be disturbed many more times. Also, with my little ones I changed them when they woke up for feedings and you really can't do that in your sleep so unless those BF moms aren't changing their babies at all at night they are getting up too.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• so true sweetpotato!!! people with babies don't get a lot of sleep regardless of what you feed them
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2011