Would you be upset with your child care provider too ?

I take care of a little boy during the day as his mom works ( I have been for a little over a month ) ...

I have him from morning ( 7 am ) until late afternoon ( almost 5 ) ... She usually sends him a couple things for lunch ( like a sandwhich, or a couple frozen chicken nuggets, or something like that ) but i usually end up making him atleast a meal or two ( I make him breakfast plus atleast one large snack ) ... of which I pay for.

Last week she brought a carton of those squeeze juice things over, he has drank most of them, but my kids have had one each.... the wanted one, because they seen he had one, and since we were out ( i usually get them too ) ... i didnt think any harm was done.

Well she came to pick him up yesterday and seen my son drinking it and asked him " Is that Kyles juice?" , so then she sighs and gives me a not so nice look and kind of shakes her head, and was obviously super annoyed ... ( she usually stays a talk for atleast 10 minutes or so, but she just kind of hurried him out of the door, and didnt even say bye.

Now her son has had probably 10 of the juiceies I have bought for my kids with my money ( but it is not a problem for them to share) , I have also spent my own money on food he eats... so is it just me or is she acting like a brat ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Does she know that you have used your own food for him. That what little she sends isn't enough. Ask her what the difference is?
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• she is being a brat. I would have let her know immediately that you plan on buying more, that you were out.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes she knows I buy and make him other food because I usually tell her what he has eaten and stuff ... she thinks that since she pays me, that I should be able to buy food....

But if she would realize ... if I had to spend extra money on his food, plus the money I spend on crafts ( which I am not complaining because i buy this stuff for my kids anyway) ... BUT , if I took that into consideration I would technically only be making maybe a dollar or 2 a day....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think you need to talk with her and set up some rules about food and spending money. Either that or you need to look at what she is paying you and see if it is enough. I used to watch 2 little girls and in the end it was not worth it because I wasn't making enough to cover what I was spending in food. If you don't get it straightened out now it will get worse. You could gently point out to her that are giving her son food that you buy and you don't see what the problem is.

I would be nice about it though! Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Either way you are in a tough spot. TRUE, you have given your own food to the child you are caring for and probably will in the future at times. However, to play it safe, maybe establish an agreement of some sort before handing out the juices that are technically his. That way she doesn't walk in to pick her child up and see her juices in the hands of other chlldren without her knowing. Humans, as we are, ugh, are strange material sometimes and certain things get to us. Money and things of this nature cause us to be very territorial. MANY TIMES if we approach the situation properly and make it a win win for both sides, we respond in a much lower maintenance manner.
    DallasFan08

Answer by DallasFan08 at 7:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Unless you have told her that you are paying for her son to eat she has no idea that what she is bringing for her son isnt enough. That means when she saw you giving her sons juices to your kids she thought you were spending her money she has put aside for his lunches on your children. I would make sure she understands that this is a normal thing, and that during the week you do feed her son because he wants what your kids have but you just havent made an issue about it. I dont think she is being a brat. I think she is just unaware of the entire situation which is not her fault if you have never brought it up.

Answer by gemgem at 8:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• This is a communication problem that needs to be addressed immediately. Try to start the conversation this afternoon. Be aware of the words and attitude so as not to start a major incident.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If I had someone taking care of my child and seeing to it that they are fed and loved, I would be happy to furnish the juiceboxes for everyone.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Tell her if it would be easier, set up a higher amount for her to pay and you can buy all the food. See if that will work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sounds like this situation could be easily solved with a sit down conversation of expectations from each side. I'd ask her if she thinks her child ONLY eats what she brings for him? And then let the conversation take its natural course. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2011