I need yall to help me solve an arguement. If the mom is white and the dad is black is the baby considered biracial (mixed) or black?

Me n my bf are arguing about this. He says if its half black then it considered black. I say mixed.

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I say biracial, because if you ask people that are half and half they say a lot of the times that people don't consider them black or white.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Bi-racial....Or did I miss something? Pretty sure it's bi racial. Two different races combined. Hope I'm right :)
    DallasFan08

Answer by DallasFan08 at 7:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Biracial. The baby has two races that make him up. Not one.

Answer by gemgem at 7:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'm just going to say this: Obama is the First African-American President. So he is considered African American.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Cont...
    Forgot to say that his mother was caucasian.
    Cafemomoftwo217

• That's funny. I have a friend who's husband is straight out of Senegal & they have this same argument. He says that black genes are stronger than white genes & that they will always dominate if there is a mixed child. So, that is his reason for saying their child is black & not mixed. I don't think that's right though, his mother is white & i think their child would be confused if his dad keeps telling him he is really black but has a white mom.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• 164: Great point. That is true but conflicting? He's certainly both. Here's my question, who decides to publicly call him A/Amer or who is it that makes that decision. Fact or Fiction. Again, great point. I would not have put it in that context
    DallasFan08

Answer by DallasFan08 at 7:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think it would be biracial, but my neice is half mexican and she looks all mexican and is considered that. I think its just a matter of opinion. I think if the child doesn't look a certain race then they will say they are black or mexican.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sounds like someone is going back to the old Jim Crow laws. If a person had just a drop of black blood in them they were considered black. Same for the other races Indian, Asian etc. All to keep others in their place and promote the white race. Now they're considered bi racial. Unfortunately then and now both races have a tendency to shun the mixed child.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• People of mixed-race heritage can now be listed in the U.S Census by any combination of races whereas before Americans were required to select from only one category. For example they may now choose more than one race from the following list
    "White" (or "Caucasian"), "Black" (or African American), "Asian", "Native American" or "Alaska Native", "Native Hawaiian", other "Pacific Islander" or "Some other race".

Many mix raced Americans now also use the term biracial. The U.S. has a growing multiracial identity movement, reflective of the lessening stigma and discrimination.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiracial
    It's up to the individual "how" they want to be called though.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2011