God gets a bad rap

Having been a mom to three daughter's, I faced being blamed for most everything my kids did. Of course when it came to their bad decision making. I believe God also gets blamed for every bad thing that happens. Whether in our lives or even in the natural disasters that occur. It's alway's someone elses fault, never a direct reflection of consequences one faces whether good or bad.. Man continues to avoid responsibility and continues to blame it all on God. But when Great things happen, we sure want the spotlight on ourselves as though we are super beings. Trust me, I am no different, I struggle with the same things. Just saying

momma-t42

Asked by momma-t42 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• KInda agree although I do praise God for all the blessings in my life, and believe me I have many. Maybe many most take for granted (husband with a job, home to live in, car to drive, healthy kids, food on the table all things I praise God for). I blame alot of the bad things in this world on two things. Karma is one. What goes around comes around so when we do something bad eventually it is going to come back onto us at some point. Second is because the Bible clearly states the earth belongs to Satan at this point and he is going to try and make our lives harder which goes back to Karma imo by tempting us into doing something bad.
    As a mom with grown kids I know all about being blamed for things. The fact is we do our best and teach them the best we can and what they do with it as adults is up to them.

Answer by gemgem at 8:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• As a non-christian, I don't blame God for anything. I know excactly what I've done that got me where I am today. I know that I am facing the direct consequences of poor choices I made many years ago (mostly not finishing college). A few things have happened that were beyond my control, sure, but I wasn't prepared enough to handle them properly, and I can admit that, too.
    I think anyone who wants to blame God for their problems is really just in denial. As for natural disasters, well, although your insurance company may all it an act of God, I wouldn't take it personally.
    Overall OP, I agree with your point: be thankful for what you have and take responsibility for your actions
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I agree...we need to all take resposnibility for our actions. My belief in God does not change whether things are going great or not. I know there is a plan...God already has my life planned. I have to do the work, but he is always guiding me.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• good post. I'm christian and I know people are like fair weathered friends when it comes to God. All happy if things go smooth...not returning the friendship when things are bad. God is there for us thru thick and thin...it's us who fail Him
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes, God gets blamed for a lot of bad but I see people give him credit for good too(even tho many times I dont think he had much to do with it).

I also see people blame others in general for stuff that happens in their lives. Its simply a "not my fault" world we live in and as sickening as this behavior is....cant force people to stop and inevitably God will get blamed just like everyone else.

Personally tho, if I screw up then I screw up I dont need to blame others including the Divine.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't blame "god" for anything. I don't believe in him exactly but its just the way things are. When I was Christian, I surely did blame god for disasters because he created the world and all that is in it right? I mean look at the story of Noah! Anyway, I take credit for the good things in my life because I have that right and because I worked my butt off to get there. no god helped me. I had the power the entire time. Some things are just out of our control and we have to learn to accept that
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Only believers in God can blame him for anything Good or bad. Atheists like myself know there is no God and thus placing blame or thanks on God is nothing more than a cop out.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I agree. I have seen this happen so often.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't think anything bad can come from God, bad comes from us
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• " I've studied it and while I cannot answer for God or His decisions, you have understood the story as fact and must have a form of belief in Him or one wouldn't believe the story of Noah. It is not new that man has chosen to ignore the desire to "believe" in Him, and I know it is tough in life to understand it's meaning."

Using a story in context, does not denote literal belief. I've used "Ender" as an example, but we all know that Ender Wiggins is a fictional character.

You seem to function under the delusion that all who do not share a belief in your deity are somehow denying an urge to do so, or are choosing not to. When in reality, the vast majority of us simply can not believe in a lie. We can not force ourselves into such an irrational state as to believe in your deity- it isn't a decision hon, it is the finite difference between reality and fantasy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:05 AM on Jun. 9, 2011