Oh that smell!!!

I think the ppl that lived in this house before us had cats. We have been here for 3 weeks and I've tried everything that I know to take the cat pee smell out. Any tips?

fancypantswife

Asked by fancypantswife at 8:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• steam clean the carpets
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:25 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Vinegar- a light solution of vinegar and water. There are also some products at vets' and in the grocery stores for pet odors.

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Rip up the carpeting, bleach the floor underneath, seal/paint over it before installing new carpeting. There is no other way to effectively remove the odor ... trust me, I know. You can try steam cleaning the carpets and using some of the products you can find at the store but the first humid day you have, the odor will be noticeable once again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I don't think anything will take that smell out of carpet. I'd start by ripping all the carpet out. Then if I could afford it I'd probably paint the walls after I washed them with a heavy bleach solution. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think they tried to cover the smell with paint before they started showing the house. Think I may have to replace flooring as well. It is brand new carpet but I believe they may have just layer it on top of it. Honestly,I think they let the cat urinate on the kitchen counter. I can deal with replacing floors and washing walls but the kitchen counter strikes a nerve.
    fancypantswife

Comment by fancypantswife (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My brother ripped the rugs out of his house because of the smell. Nature's Miracle does a great job on urine odor. You get it in the housebreaking aisle at the pet store.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Nice! Thanx for all the great tips.
    fancypantswife

Comment by fancypantswife (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2011