Would you start a business with your spouse?

We are going to have an opportunity to start a business, meaning that both of us would have to/get to leave the jobs that we currently can't stand... and we would get to be together.... at least most of the time.... I'm scared, but I think I want to do this... financially we have some money to start and we have an investor that my husband has worked with before... would you do it????

1organicmom

Asked by 1organicmom at 8:38 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• woohooGo For It!!!

mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Absolutely. (at least that is my answer at this very moment.)
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Why not?
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'm just not a chance taker..... he is and i have to say, when it comes to business, my husband is brilliant.... yard work... not so much :)
    1organicmom

Comment by 1organicmom (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I probably wouldn't just because I know we would butt heads too much!
    wiccan92

Answer by wiccan92 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sounds like you have an amazing opportunity :) I wouldn't be able to do it because as much as I love my husband, he is horrible with money. Your situation sounds wonderful and I say go for it!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Be careful, expect to work twice as hard starting up your own business. My husband and I have considered it, but the amount of work we'd have to put in for several years would definitely take its toll on our children, so we are opting not to.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Me personally, not right now. When the kids were grown and gone, maybe, but while I still had children to take care of I would not be able to put as much time and energy into the business as it would need.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• As long as you guys have a strong relationship already, I don't think it would be a big deal. Do you have good communication and compromise skills with one another? Because ultimately the characteristics of a good marriage/relationship are the same as a business.
    Priorities, time commitments, communication, compromise, compassion, good ethics, honesty....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would say as long as you are prepared, go for it. By being prepared I mean, do you have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up? That's the bare minimum I would have, typically the first year you don't make much profit, because most goes right back into building the business....leaving nothing for living off of. If you have a decent savings for bills, GO FOR IT!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011