How much do you know about your ancestry?

How much do you actually know for sure, not just suspicions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• A lot!
    My cousin traced my Dad's family back many centuries in Sweden and Norway.
    On my Mom's side, my Aunt traced us all the way back to the days of The Mayflower (she was a memeber of the DAR...)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Not a whole lot about my side or my husband's. I do know that my great, great, great, great grandfather was an Indian chief but I don't know any history past him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:50 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Both my father's and my mother's families has a book that goes back to quite a ways back stating the people's names, date of birth, date of death, who they married, kids they had, and sometimes it gives more information like what the person did for a living and such...basically if it was something interesting I guess. My parents both have copies. I've flipped through them before, but honestly have no desire to do anything more or even look at them again. I've just never been much into that stuff. I know who my grandparents are...and one great-grandmother...before them, they are complete strangers and I have no desire to know about them. I just don't understand the pull to know your ancestry.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Quite a bit. Genealogy was my hobby before kids. I'm hoping to have some more time to devote to it soon.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• On my Moms side, her maternal grandfather and grandmother were French and German. When they married they couldn't speak to each other very well as they neither spoke English very well or the others language. Her grandfather came from the Island of Martinique which was a french province, and also was a cousin to Joseph Marie Rose Tasher, or Josephine Bonaparte, Napoleon's first wife. Her Dad's family was a mix of Irish, Scottish and German. On my Dad's side they were German, Dutch, English and Welsh. My Husbands Father can trace his from Germany. His Fathers Grandfather family came here from Germany and settled in Menominee Michigan. They actually were Austrian. His Grandmother was English, Scottish. His mother family is also a huge mix. German, French, American Indian, Scottish, English and Dutch.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• So far I have traced one branch of my father's side back to Bunker Hill in the Revolutionary War. On my mom's side I have made it back to the civil war. I hit a stumbling block with my dad's other side, as his grandfather immigrated from Holland, but I can't seem to find them in the Netherlands. I'm thinking a name change or misspelling once they got to the US.
    I've had no luck with my husband's side, as I don't know much about his family and neither does he.
    LilLady75

Answer by LilLady75 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Not much right now. I found more on my husband then on my side. lol
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Not too much. I know who my great great grandparents are, and who my great grandparents siblings were, but that is about it.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Alot! I had been wanting to research our family history/tree etc for some time. 2 winters' ago I did just that. I really, really enjoyed that alot. It passed those cold, gloomy, afternoons and evenings and I learned SO much. I found it very fascinating. Plus, I got to talk with people from our home village area in The Netherlands(on my fathers' side) etc when I really got down to searching for old grave sites etc. I loved it & recommend that everyone should know about the family history in more detail. It gives you a sense of,(how can I say this) real belonging to an ancestral people.
    If you do,Good Luck!
    Your children will appreciate too at some point in life.
    (We're Native American Indian-Cherokee, French-Irish on my mothers' side)
    I also think that as Americans we're really losing alot of heritage, culture, etc with every passing generation. No one in my family has any recipes past Betty Crocker. Sad, I think
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• On my father's side of the family, I have roots in southern Appalachia (SE KY, NE TN, SW VA). I can go back about 7 generations on my father's father's family, but no one knows where that last ancestor came from. With my father's mother, I can go back several generations and I think one branch comes from Germany.

On my mother's father's side, I can go back to England. One of my mother's ancestors fought as a Tory in the Revolutionary War; after the Battle of King's Mountain, he was one of nine people hanged for various "war atrocities". My mother's mother's side, I can trace through England and Scotland. My mother's family also has roots in SW VA and NE TN.

My husband has English/German roots. His paternal grandfather emigrated from southern England. On his mother's side, he has German roots. My husband's father's family is from the NJ area; my husband's mother's family is from around the Reading, PA area.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 11:34 AM on Jun. 9, 2011