Gardening question????

I have two ferns on my front porch. I live in Alabama, it has been very hot and humid. I have been watering them everyday, sometimes twice. They look like all the leaves are dying. I have even put Miracle grow on them. Will anything else help them look better?

RelaxedMom2-3

Asked by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It might be too hot for them. Also, most ferns do not like direct sunlight. That's all I can think of that might be bothering them.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Take them inside until it cools down a bit, its probably way to hot for them. Im in Ohio and it has been hotter than hell here and my flowers in my flower bed are almost burnt looking.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It's too hot for the ferns, as the others have mentioned. Ferns like moist, partly shady conditions, so if you can't take them in, then at least move them to a more shady spot & keept them moist. Also, don't get too much water on the leaves, because the water droplets will magnify the sun's rays & burn the plant. Instead, always water under the leaves & directly on the soil. The fern may continue to look wilted & a bit brown because of the stress from the heat even after it is out of direct sunlight simply because it can't handle the heat very well, but it should come back when temps cool down.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Make sure they have only partial sunlight and mostly shade. I water mine heavily once a week, they're kept on the porch and only receive late afternoon sunlight. I live in Louisiana so weather-wise we're pretty much the same as Alabama, perhaps a bit more humid here though.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 1:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2011