Why can't professional athletes use a portion of their pay to fund their stadiums?

While watching the news, there was a segment on tax payers funding $400 million for a professional stadium. Athletes make so much money, I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea for them to donate 1% of their pay to fund their stadiums and/or athletic centers.

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• NO!!! Why do you think it's okay to say that someone should donate some of THEIR money to something? It's their money and they have a right to do with it as they wish. Doesn't matter if they make $10,000/year or $1,000,000/year...it's still their money and they should not be forced or pressured to donate.

And, you also need to remember, the more you make, the more tax money you are paying, so therefore, they are paying more than the Average Joe on things anyway...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think it would be great. I think It is ridiculous how much some athletes makes from football, baseball, etc.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i think it would be a GREAT idea. Shoot...some of us could care less about sports, why should my tax dollars go to something i won't be a part of? I know...they say it generates revenue for the city/state....but i really don't like the idea of my tax dollars building a new stadium, when we could be using that money for a plethora of other things that would be more helpful to our community...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Employees don't pay to work in thier places of employnent. The owners make much more than the players...if anyone should be stepping up it should be them.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Personally, I feel the owners should be paying the bill for the stadium and upkeep. These players sacrifice a lot to be out there for our entertainment. Yes, they make bank, but they also cut their lives short due to the physical strain on their bodies. Read up on retired athletes and their quality of life. You would be suprised what happens to them after the glory days.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Wendy is very right. My very good friend Steve Nicosia used to play for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He is not as rich as you'd think he is...he works at a company that sells commercial doors & door hardware. You'd never think that someone who once won the world series would have to work after they retired.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• That's true Allabout.. I think Wendy said it best. I wasn't thinking about the owners but she's 100% correct.
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2011