Do you Pray?

And if you do are you teaching your kids to?

kupdike98

Asked by kupdike98 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• yes to both...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes I do
    And No I'm Not.

Prayer is simply communication between me and my Gods. My children don't have any Gods, so how could they communicate with them?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes and Yes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes and yes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes, and not as well as I should. I worked on it during Lent, but even then, it was like pulling teeth near the end. I need to work on a more interesting way for them to pray.

For me, prayer is a great way to evaluate where I am and what I should be doing, but for them, it is so often rote and meaningless. I don't care for rote and meaningless things to say, never did. Thanks for the reminder- I meant to ask some friends again about how they make it more fun and interesting.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• yes, and yes. I am seriously suckish at it, but I'm working on it. Reading about different disciplines and techniques. And Tracys2, rote is not necessarily meaningless, it helps to put you in a place where you become receptive (I still am not great at that, but I know from others who are exceptionally enmeshed in their prayer)

I also use the technique where you read a biblical passage and then try to place yourself in the scene.  Smell the smells, feel the feelings, see the sunlight, hear the conversation, take up some action that the passage suggests.  It's worked for me in the past, but sadly, I'm in a bad prayer place right now

My 13 year old has an exceptional prayer life.  He's amazing

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes I do pray and I have taught my kids to pray.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think tat it is a good think to teach your kids to pray. We pray together a lot as a family. I ask because I have been teaching VBS this week and I have the 3,4,&5 yr olds and most of them know nothing about praying.
    kupdike98

Comment by kupdike98 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• yes, often..though usually quietly, to myself...well, not TO myself. lol!
    yes, hopefully by example, and we've told ds prayer is ''just talking to God, like you would talk to anyone''. meaning, you can say anything that's on your mind. we don't teach that prayer is a way of asking for stuff, or that its only for forgiveness. its a line of communication you keep open, as you would with a friend. (or parents...)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes and yes

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2011