At what point do you consider a child potty trained?

How many weeks do they need to go without accidents before you consider them potty trained? My LO has been doing very well with her daytime potty training and hasn't had an accident in a few weeks unless she is out of the house and playing with friends. She catches herself but after she has peed a little. She is now pooping in the potty but only a handful of times in the last 3 1/2 weeks, but 3 times in the last week.

I am just curious as to when I can call her potty trained vs potty training?

coala

Asked by coala at 9:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• after 2 years for boys and 18 months for girls
    orange-mom

Answer by orange-mom at 9:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• really 18 mos of no accidents before you call them potty trained?
    coala

Comment by coala (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I considered my oldest potty trained when she stopped having accidents through the night. She no longer needs a pull up and very rarely has any accidents. She has had a couple here and there, but what kid doesn't.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I consider them potty trained when they can take them' selves to the bathroom when needed, clean them selves up and get them selves dressed again. My DD was regularly using the potty with no accidents at 2 but potty trained until closer to 3. IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I do not count night time wetting into potty training since some kids can wet the bed up to age 5,6,7 or even older. Night wetting is a separate issue.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i was lucky and my daughter took to it very easy within 2 weeks she was doing it all in the potty and refused to wear a diaper or pull up at night. I would say when they go all day with out accidents for the most part, when you can trust JUST panties on them all day. i wouldnt look at the night because if thats they case some families have 5-10 year olds not potty trained because they still wet the bed at night. and even an accident here and there is ok, it happens. my daughter has been potty trained for almost a year now, as i said before wears nothing but panties and never wore a pull up, and she will still have an accident here and there because she thinks she can hold it and then gets invovled in something and BAM she forgets she was holding it! in the past year she has probably had 5 accidents. so they happen. id say when you were panties all day she is potty trained :)
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• She has been wearing panties all day since the beginning of March. So I will call her potty trained. Thanks ladies for your help!
    coala

Comment by coala (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• when they stay dry all day with minimal accidents; we have accomplished this with my son so now no more pull-ups during the day or at night; he is 4 but we had to wait because he was born with a condition called hypospadias and we had to make sure that the last surgery he had was a success and everything before starting to potty train but once we started it didn't take long because he wanted to be a big boy like daddy; if she is in panties all day with no accidents then I would say you have that accomplished. They say the night time potty training takes longer just buy a rubber sheet or two and put on her bed at night that is what we have done and also my doctor said no liquids 2 hours before bed also helps
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2011