Colic?

My son seems to always be crying in pain. I know that he gets gas and it hurts him, I have been giving him gas drops and they have helped before. But last night, he cried and cried like he was in pain. I felt awful because he would only sleep for an hour at the most then wake up screaming. I thought he might have a fever, but his temp was normal. I thought he had gas so I gave him some medicine. Nothing seemed to help so at 2 AM i took him into the ER. There they did x-rays, and checked his vitals. Everything was normal. I have been told before that he has colic, but its so hard to see him cry and scream and nothing I do calms him. What should I do? My husband and I have tried everything, but nothing seems to soothe him. We feel so bad that we cannot seem to help him. I'm thinking that maybe another opinion from a different doctor should help? I don't know. I just need some reassurance that everything will be ok.

aserran4

Asked by aserran4 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm so sorry, I know very well how hard it is to deal with colic. My youngest had terrible colic. First, read "The Happiest Baby On The Block" by Harvey Karp. It's like an owners manual for children with colic. I agree with the above to have him tested for GIRD, but ignore the whole "colic isn't real" brigade. It is, it really is. It's insulting to those of us who've lived through that hell, had every test imaginable performed, and STILL had a baby who screamed in agony. Learn to swaddle, and learn to do it tightly. Get a sling or wrap so that you can wear your baby, babies who are worn close to their mothers cry less. I would investigate the lactose end. The good news is that he's 3 mos old, and it should be ending soon ... unless he's like my son who screamed well past 6 mos.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 9:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• talk to your doctor about acid reflux (quite common in babies actually)

my oldest was diagnosed with colic. 8 years later, my youngest who had the EXACT same symptoms was diagnosed with acid reflux.

IMHO colic is just a catch all diagnosis for "your baby is crying and we can't or don't want to find out why, deal with it"
    Anonymous

• I agree colic isn't a diagnosis, it's a symptom of something else going on. Almost always tummy related. I would bring him in to his regular pediatrician.
    It might also be helpful to keep a diary of the days events when he eats when he cry like that... if he is breastfed the foods you ate that day.
    It could be reflux, a food allergy to either formula or if he is breastfed to something you are eating, gas pains...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree with the ladies above. I would also suggest keeping the head of the baby bed elevated. How old is your baby? Have they tested baby for lactose intolerance?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I make it a point to always have him inclined after a feeding. He's 3 months and drinks Similac Sensitve. We are Native American, so lactose intolerance might be it. I'm not LI but my husband is.
    aserran4

Answer by aserran4 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2008