Healthier Eating for Family

I have been wanting to lose weight for quite some time now but I have a problem sticking to diets. So I was thinking why not just change my family's whole lifestyle to a more healthy one? We spend too much time sitting on our buttsand buying too much junk food. The only problem that I have is we are EXTREMELY tight on money and eating more healthy seems to be expensive! Has any one else had this problem with buying fresh ingredients over and over and over again because they don't last? Any suggestions? I would really like to do this for all of us! We are doing great on being more active but I am just stuck with this food thing!

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I use frozen veggies and lean cuts of meat. I feed our family of 3 on about 100-150 a month and we have salads every day for lunch and fruits in the house as well. You will find that if you put the money you are spending on the junk towards some fresh fruits and veggies your dollar will go just as far.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:13 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Instead on buying fresh ingrediants over and over you can do a couple things. 1- purchase vegitable plants, even buying 1 tomatoe plant in a container will cut down on your grocery bill. 2- you could split the money spend on veggies in 2. spend half for 2 weeks of veggies, the other half a couple weeks later. That way you aren't buying a bunch at once a waisting what you don't eat. 3- SALES and the Farmers market. That is how I do it. At least until our garden pops up.
    MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 10:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Buying again? You mean, you're not using the fresh things you do buy? There is 1/2 the problem.

Eating well costs LESS than eating junk, if it didn't, my family would starve to death. I can feed a family of 4-5 supper for around $5 and have lunch leftovers for my SO to take to work. Protein doesn't have to come solely from meat. Whole grains are more filling than simple starches so you need less of them.

If you're actually interested, send me a pm.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think it seems costly the first few trips but with some planning it really isn't that much more expensive. Start by planning your meals for a week or 2-I cannot even tell you how much $$ I save from planning my meals and making a grocery list! Look through your local flyers and plan meals around the fresh ingredients that are on sale. Try and plan a few meals with the same ingredients- 2 weeks ago peppers and onions were on super sale- I made shrimp fajitas, used some for omelettes, added them to my salads, and used the rest for burger toppings. Do you have a local farmers market or a warehouse store? Farmers markets have wonderful fresh foods at great prices and my local warehouse stores have awesome deals on fruits and veggies!
    I also always have frozen veggies in my freezer!
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• ObbyDobbie: I am new to cafemom! How do I send a message to you??
    BraydonsMama262

Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• These ladies are right- it doesn't have to be expensive! Planning makes a HUGE difference. Look to see what's on sale at your store, and plan around that. If they have chicken breasts on sale, buy a bunch and freeze them. Frozen veggies are great, too. You can also buy some veggies fresh and cut them up in advance (onions and bell peppers are great, and you can cut them in a few ways). A garden is a great option if you have the space. Buying some things in bulk can help. You may need to make more than one trip to the store in a week- that's just kind of the way it is. I make two trips a week, one big one and a second to supplement with perishables halfway through the week. Try the farmer's market, too. That can save you some money. I bought a huge bag of stone fruit yesterday for $5. Once you have your pantry stocked (a slow process) with whole wheat flour, spices, etc instead of white flour, sugar, salt, etc, it'll be cheap.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• To answer your question about sending a message, just click on her name, then click to see her profile, and below her picture, it will say "Send a message", so click there and type away. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Thank you guys! All these answers are great :)
    BraydonsMama262

Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I spend roughly $70 a week for a family of 4. I shop at discount grocery stores like Aldi and Price Rite. I go to Wal-Mart for a few things once a month and I shop at the local Farmers Market.

Bags of frozen tilapia fillets are $4 at Aldi and lasts us 3 meals, a bag of chicken breasts $7 and lasts for 3 meals.....1.25 package of lean ground turkey breasts are $2.49 and last us a meal and usually a bit left over for my lunch the next day. a Bag of salmon fillets lasts 2 meals and is $3.50....so I alternate. One week I'll buy a bag of the chicken and the tilapia...and that gives me meals for two weeks, the opposite week I'll get the salmon and turkey for two weeks, so I constantly buy those larger bags with the intent of it lasting two weeks.

Fresh and frozen veggies...the bag of frozen steamable broccoli is $1, I buy 2 a week. Sunday we are going to the U-Pick farm for strawberries, i'll freeze what I can, etc
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I am on a 1600 calorie diet(which I never eat in a day) and what has helped me is write down everything--for example this morning I had 1 cup malt-o-meal; 1 slice wheat bread with margarine and 1 cup Orange Juice and then I have a book that breaks it down according to how many calories; how many carbohydrates and etc; so that might help you also it is sometimes easier when you have things written down to know how much you are consuming in a day; but you may also want to consult with a dietician or your doctor before starting anything
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2011