School pick up and drop off question?

How does your little one's school work it? For dropping off I simply do just that. The principal comes to the car and walks them in. For pick up I have to walk in and sign her out. My niece's school is drop off the same but they bring the little ones out to the car and she never has to get out. How does your school work it? And what would you prefer?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 10:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you are picking up a car rider then they walk them to the car if they are a walker you meet them somewhere on or near school property and pick them up (this takes less time than waiting in the car line).
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• For both pick up and drop off, we have to park , sign them in on the kiosk and take them to their classroom. Our school is a small, private one, so no buses. Every parent has to do this same procedure every day.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 10:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Preschool - walk them in, sign them in, sign them out, walk them out - all on the parents (or older siblings, for those who bus).
    K on up - drop them at the door, they go in on their own.
    Small town, small school, I have no issues with how it's done.
    Anonymous

• We have to park in the lot and walk them in to school and after school we have to go sign them out.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 8:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Drop off: Wait in line. When it is your childs turn they are gotten out and walked into the school by a teacher or named tagged volunteer.
    Pick up: At the beginning of the year each child is assigned a unique number that is zip tied to their back pack and each parent in given a laminated paper of an odd shade of green also labeled with this number as well as the schools name. You hold up your number and you are asked the child full name if everything matches up you get the child! If you do not have you number you have to go in a nd show id.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:20 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have to drop off in the front of the school, and at the end of the day, I have to go in and sign him out,, I don't like going in, because the parking lot is always full, but I would prefer to hassle myself, than them just opening the doors and letting them out,, When I was in school we just left the building and waited outside for our parents, probably not such a good idea in today's times.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• At our school my son gets out and walks to his class by his self. There are teachers outside and in the building to help out if needed. In the afternoon all of the kids sit outside with the teachers on duty and wait for their car to pull up. Their is a teacher that stands outside and calls out the kids names when their car is in the "loading zone". This is very easy and it seems to work well for everyone. Parents are not allowed to get out of their cars in carpool line unless they are opening a door or something. This helps so that it is all done fairly quickly. If we all had to get out to sign our kids out it would probably take an hour or more and would be chaotic!
    def1116

Answer by def1116 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't know. My kids take the bus, the school is 2 miles away and I don't have a car.
    At their old school they walked. The car riders... there was no rules or organization. The little kids (PK-5th) went in the back door of the school, parking lot was blocked off (since that is where they stood). Parents parked on the street and would wait with their kids in the parking lot--kids lined up until their teachers came out. Pick up was basically the same thing. The other kids (6th-8th) waited on the other side of the school but without parents around until the teachers came to get them. If kids arrived after the teachers brought them in it was absolute chaos in front of the school with cars driving both directions (it was a residential street), parking in both directions on both sides, letting kids off in the street. I'm surprised no one was killed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• For drop offs parents pull up to the door and let the kids out. A principal or counselor is always on duty to help get kids in the building. For pick ups parents wait in the cafeteria and the students are brought to them.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• She doesn't start til August, but I hope I don't have to get out of the car!!!
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 4:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011