Neighbors barking dog is driving us CRAZY!! What is effective to stop this?

About 2 years ago, a neighbor (not a next door neighbor) on the backside of the next block over got a little Jack Russell terrier. Cute right? Wrong!! lol Well, not after we have no choice but to listen to him bark incessantly all day and all night anymore.

frustrated

I have 2 Mini Dachshunds (which Doxie's are known for their barking alot also) but, I've trained mine not to bark unless it's fear or something like that. It took awhile but was SO worth it. They do really well and I'm proud of them. I didn't want to interfere with my neighbors daily lives or their sleep at night because I wanted these dogs.

Anyway..this little dog is fenced in the backyard (chain-link fencing) and he just runs from one end of the fence to the other just barking and barking non-stop. Besides his short naps etc, he's always back to the barking and we just can't take it anymore. How would you approach this?? I know I'm not the only frustrated neighbor either.  I just want to be effective without causing awkwardness in the neighborhood.

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 10:21 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Pets

• All day I dunno but all night you can report to Animal control as a disturbance.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• you can do this anon byt he way and then 'have no idea who would have called!' :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• legally?? lol..sorry. has anyone bothered to talk to the owners? are they even home? perhaps they don't hear it, or ignore it because they weren't prepared for the dependency such a dog would have on humans for 'entertainment' and company.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• After 9 at night and I'm not sure what time in the morning, you can call the police and they will go and have them stop the dog. After so many calls they will be cited. It IS annoying. I live in the country and had one outside that I finally gave away because I couldn't stand his incessant barking.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Poor little thing is lonely! I think you should leave a note on their door, say something like, I don't know if you realize it or not but your dog is barking constantly, could you please take him inside sometimes, my baby is constantly being woken up from her naps,, thanks so much. Wait a couple of days, then you can file a complaint with animal control if nothing happens.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If there is no noise ordinance, there is not a thing you can do. Nothing at all... and even if there IS a noise ordinance, it's probably applies only at nite. You could build a fence so that JR can't see you as much and there for will not bark quite as much but for the most part, that all I can think of
    "Good fences make good neighbors"
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Legally there really isn't anything they can do unless it's after ten. Not everyone can train their dog not to bark. Jacks are very stubborn and need constant attention. I agree with Dullscissor, why not just go talk to them about it?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would contact animal control... We got a notice on our door from AC one time, saying our dogs barking was bothering our neighbors etc..... funny, but at the time we only had one dog and he was crated during the day in the house. and when we were home, he was in the house with us every minute. if he had to go potty, we would have to take him out. We could not leave him unattended because he would take off. So animal control would be your best option.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 9, 2011