Is God Guilty of Racketeering?

In the story of Job satan comes to God and God ask satan have you considered my servant Job.

Basically God stands by with the knowledge that satan is going to kill all his children and wife. Have the sabeans steal his live stock. His servants get murdered. Job gets infected with sores. Yes Job gets blessed in the end but for what so God can prove how faithful Job was?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 10:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Eilish: So, it's okay for God to mess with Job like that in order to prove a point as long as he was rewarded for his troubles afterwards? SICK.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Not all of us take that narrative literally. So certain perceptions of God - ones that do take it literally, for example - may be more guilty of such things, but perceptions of God that see these narratives non-literally are probably not really guilty of them, since we (those non-literalists) tend to believe that they didn't actually happen.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Except that extorting money wasn't one of them ... which is what racketeering is. Sooooooo ...... I still don't see how you can accuse God of a racketeer.

As for Job - Job is an example of how far tests of faith can go. And since we are God's creatures - he owns us - he can do whatever He pleases.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• actually, call it what you want, but Job could've always turned his back on his faith. yes, he was faithful-he didn't, and he didn't blame God. i think this may be case of wanting to blame God for any and all misfortunes that can befall someone. sometimes crap happens..a lot!
    in this life, as xtians, we are not promised a rose garden without the thorns. or the pests, or various diseases that befall roses. JMHO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• im in the "dont take it literally' camp...so to me one has to look at the ppl it was written for, when it was written, and why. chronologically, Job should be in Genesis, some time between Joseph & Moses. it was written for a ppl whose religious stories had just started & there wasnt a whole lot to tell about God's character. so to explain why we suffer they started telling of Job, who was blessed & cursed but either way was faithful to God. i dont think the early Hebrews were thinking as deeply as we do about the story b/c it was told orally...they only remembered the moral b/c they couldnt re-hear it & analyze it like we can today.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• but Gods hitman so to speak

Oh please! This would presume that God had malicious intent against Job - God had nothing but good things to say about Job. You are REALLY stretching this.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:33 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• God asked satan have you considered my servant Job.

Okay, you're guilty of not telling the whole story ... Satan approached God about people only having faith in God because of their blessings. Satan made a challenge to God that Job would loose faith if he lost all of wealth and blessing. That's hardly God going to Satan and saying "I've got this guy I need you to knock off."

In order for Satan to be God's "hit man," God would have to be malevolent. And since God spoke highly of Job and rewarded him three-fold of what was taken from Him, I'd hardly call God malevolent, or desiring a hit man.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Satan is God's servant. He is the tempter. He asked permission to test the will of man in their belief in god and god said sure go ahead
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i think this may be case of wanting to blame God for any and all misfortunes that can befall someone

I am not trying to blame God nor satan of my hard times. I just cant swallow how this whole story plays out. It seems a bet to me satan saying oh i can get him to curse you and God allowing all this to happen to prove satan wrong. Why wipe out his family food money servants to prove something he already knew? I get life's hard ships make you stronger wiser and grow. But this isnt a life lesson but a wager on who will be right. I would never take back anything in my life that has caused me pain because it made me who i am i just dont see anything great about God in this story just cruel. So job gets blessed in the end with more kids a new wife more food/ money does that make up for what he has lost? Is it a fair trade to prove how faithful he was?
    cont
    whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I admire Job in this story what love and comitment he has for God. I also feel sorry because what a game it is between God and satan.
    whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Jun. 9, 2011