• In the Spotlight:

Moving from a single family to a town home or apartment.....

What was the hardest adjustment for you? For us it is the lack of having our own yard per se. We have a lot of grass and space around us but it is not the same.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 10:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We moved from a bi-level, single family home with a big yard, right across the street from a park, to a duplex with a small yard with gravel in it (not grass or even dirt). The yard has been my biggest adjustment too... finding ways to play in a yard that you can't really run or jump or ride bikes in. We DO have our own space, though, and we have been lucky... both neighbors we've shared the building with have been really nice. This one plays music a little too loud sometimes, but he's friendly and not creepy or rude, so I'll listen to the bass bump sometimes in trade lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Lack of fenced back yard and in an apt. having to be aware of the people under you when the kids are playing and running around. As in they can't with out you getting chewed out if the person under you is fussy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• For us it was the yard and also sharing walls with other people, we could hear their TV going and smell everything they cooked...I'm sure they could hear our TV and smell our food too but I hated it. So glad we are back in a single family home again...apartment living is not for me.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• For us, it was the lack of storage space! We have our own yard, we share 1 wall with neighbors, and we are allowed to have pets. The biggest issue for us has been the fact that there is not a lot of storage space, but we just got in a new unit, and we have a HUGE closet, as does our sons and daughters, so I am hoping that will help with the storage issue!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:54 AM on Jun. 9, 2011