• In the Spotlight:

When traveling, why do some people get upset with a crying baby?

Something has to be wrong with the baby. Either something hurts or they are uncomfortable so glaring at the baby or their parents cannot help the situation.
I carry headphones, that's my solution.

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Travel

• This is why we only travel on our own, no public transit or flights. I don't so much get upset with the babies who cry, but the parents who act like nothing is going on and don't try to fix the problem that the child is having. I like babies and children just fine, it's usually the adults that I have a problem with.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• They probably just get irritated because they are on vacation. OR ...all people don't like babies,lol. Some people have less patience than others.Some people are just ignorant.
    Crying babies don't bother me because I'm a mom and I understand..so I don't give glares...more like understanding glances,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:34 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Those people never have small children of their own. Either they aren't parents at all or their children are grown and they have no idea or have forgotten entirely what it's like to travel with a small child.

I ignore those people and do what I need to do to help my kiddos. I'm sure someone I share an armrest with doesn't want to watch me breastfeed my babies on the plane, but guess what? My baby comes WAY before their comfort.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I love kids BUT! I had a really bad experience flying one time. My DH & I were seated behind two women & an infant. While we were waiting to take off, the Mother was force feeding the infant milk from a bottle. The baby kept turning it's face because she obviously had enough. I said to DH "this baby is going to puke as soon as we take off!" Sure enough, we took off & the baby proceeded to projectile puke & the mother held her up to puke on the window! The puke dripped down & back towards our feet! The Mother NEVER got up or tried to clean any of it! I called the flight attendant & by that time the smell was overwhelming & the person sitting next to me on the left started to dry heave! The flight att. gave us towels to put over the floor so we didn't get it all over our shoes. So we flew for 3 1/2 hours with puke all over & the smell to gag you. SO, we as Mothers have to use common sense too when traveling & courtesy.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I kind of agree with ILovemyPaulie, it's not so much the crying baby that drives me crazy when travelling, it's the parents who don't seem to be doing anything about it. I think you can tell when a mother has an upset baby but she is trying everything to settle them down, and in that case I feel for her because I've been there. But you can also tell when a parent just feels like, "Oh, well, the baby is going to cry and it doesn't bother me so whatever." That's very frustrating to me. First off because I feel bad for the poor child, and secondly because it's annoying and loud. I flew with my DD at 6 months and did my best to be well prepared to have her comfortable. The flight home wasn't a joy ride, but at least I was really trying to keep her happy and soothe her. Sometimes there isn't any more that can be done, but sometimes parents don't even seem like they are trying and that's just inconsiderate to the baby and others.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I get a little irritated when a baby is crying but towards the parents as opposed to the baby it self. I've seen kids screaming at the top of their lungs and the parents just ignore the child. Obviously something is going on with their child and they need to do something about it.
    -Tiffany-

Answer by -Tiffany- at 2:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Oh my ILove.. so sorry you went through that experience... yuck!
    Alexias30

Comment by Alexias30 (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It is tough for hear a baby cry - women instinctively react (whether they want to or not).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• wow ilovepaulie!
    canelamami

Answer by canelamami at 5:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Some people dont want to take time for a crying baby,dont have enough sence to know something could be wrong,it could be sick are hungry are wet,so be patience moms and dad they are just little person,
    jbaby7162000

Answer by jbaby7162000 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011