internals?

my last internal at 27 weeks sent me into the hospital with contractions...i'll be 35 weeks on the 18th and my doctor wants to do a internal again...can i decline it if i feel it's unhealthy for me and my unborn child? i mean i dont want to go into early labor and a lot of nurses i know said it could can someone help me please??? should i just tell them no?

yousomedicated9

Asked by yousomedicated9 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You have every right to say no.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• absolutely. it's your body and your baby.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Do you know why they want to do another IUS?? It could be that they are doing some checking.... I would ask your DR. and then off of their reasonings decline or accept. You might find that they feel your baby is big enough and want to double check... might be they need to check your fluid levels...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree with the PP...it seems odd that they would be doing internal ultrasounds this late in the game unless they were checking something specific that they couldn't get with an abdominal ultrasound. Of course you can tell them no...and I would if there hadn't been any complications...at minimum request that they only do an abdominal one.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My dr told me he was going to give me another US. I told him I didn't see the need for it. Yes you can decline it. Sometimes is is medically necessary, but not always. It's all a part of their business and keeping the income rolling in. I would decline especially since it brought on contractions last time.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 10:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If they want to check on the "estimate" on how big a baby is, US can be about 3 lbs off. They are not 100% accurate.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 10:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• You can decline ANYthing you don't want: vaginal exams, episiotomy, induction, IVs, cesarean... 

This is your birth, you are in charge!!

I have never had an internal during my pregnancies, no reason for them.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If you are at risk for pre-term labor, I would let them do the internal exam. The doctor probably wants to check just-in-case. But, you have every right to refuse something you are not comfortable with.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 2:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2008