What can a 2 year old do to help the community?

Besides picking up trash there are no volunteering opportunities out there for my 2 year old. I am thinking of starting a parent child group for young kids to make an impact in their community (with their parents aid). I already have a few ideas on how to get involved such as making art to donate to hospitals or retirement homes or picking produce for a local farmer or working with a community art project.  What are your ideas? Would you be interested in a program like this?

mrs.coop

Asked by mrs.coop at 10:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would think that 2 is a little young to really do anything in the community..my first thought was take the elderly flowers once a week since they are so small thats about all they are capable of
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think your idea sounds cool. Kind of a family type community service group. You could do things like Plant flowers at parks, help clean up after festivals, make lunch for the habitat for Humanity teams, serve at local food kitchens... Even if they are things the child is not actively doing they are watching and learning.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• visit nursing homes and take them hand made cards. Even make card to take to the children's hospital. You may not be able to hand them out but you can make and deliver them. Call around and see what you can do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:52 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think its a really cute i dea but not something id do with my son!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:59 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• First by watching mom and dad. While wonderful parents want their children to be compassionate, empathetic and a good citizen...it starts with many many years of watching mom and dad. A few experiences here and their are not really lasting or all that benefitial. A child who sees mom and dad involved in the community will most likely also get involved. It is called indocternization. So the real question is: what do you want to do to assist in your community? Deliver meals on wheels? Volunteer at a domestic violence shelter? Then casually over the years they get it it. And depending on what you do your child can at times come with you. In hospice many older adults loved children and often I had rquests from patients to find a volunteer with a young child. No reason why a young child can't visit a few times an older adult's home and color and chat. It made their quality of life improve.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• They have all sorts of programs for cancer buddies for adults but I have never seen one for but I have never seen one for children. This person is assigned to send greeting cards, small gifts and is more of a pen pal to a person going through cancer--might be a great thing to start with a group of kids.

Alot of food banks will take fresh garden vegetables now and even have a program. Perhaps you could tend to a tomato plant together and bring the harvest to a food bank?
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2011