Christianity vs Karma

Do you believe it is un-Christian-like to believe in karma?

CollinsMommy729

Asked by CollinsMommy729 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Outside of saying it in the popular sense of "karma's a bitch" for immediate results, nope I don't think it's complimentary to Christianity in it's real meaning.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:07 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• the main difference is this;

People who firmly believe in the laws of karma, don't believe they need to ask fro forgiveness. They don't believe in repenting because they firmly believe that you'll get whats coming to you regardless how much you beg for forgiveness.

Also, karma & reincarnation go hand in hand. You can't fully believe in one if you don't believe in the other. If you want me to further explain, i will...but it will be long.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:06 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• you reap what you sew....it's in the bible.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Without severing karmic ties to this world/people in this world, one can never reach enlightenment. Therefore one can not stop the cycle of rebirth and death. Until one's Karmic ties are severed, one can not ascend.

When you take all of this (and believe me this is a very brief short overview of Karma.lol) karma is far more than what many seem to believe it is. If one believes in reincarnation, then Karma is an deep and pivotal part of that belief. If one does not believe in reincarnation, then they really can not/do not believe in Karma. The two go hand and hand.

Since I am not a Christian, nor have I ever been one. I can not and will not state "No, a Christian can not/should not believe in Karma". What I will say is this.When looking at the true meaning of Karma , and the fact that is origin is being a base tenent of the Hindu religion. I think it would be hard for a Christian, to still be a Christian and believe in Karma
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I agree, you reap what you sow! = karma in my book.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• the basic, lay-men idea of Karma goes w/ Christianity very well, but like PPs have said the deeper, real meaning of Karma stands apart from most Christian teachings.

either way i dont think its wrong to use it like you said. you arent really giving it power so much as using it in the popular Western way...its part of our vocabulary.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think this is where proper names should be used to clear up proper terminology:

Karma (big K)= aspect of Hindu religion involving the cycle of reincarnation
    karma (little K)=popular term thats shorthand for eventually jerks get kicked in the balls

I think the religious implications are yours to determine...some of the most Christ-like people I know believe in some pretty unconventional ideas regarding their religions, and some of the most outwardly devout Christians are some of the least Christ-like people I've ever met.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• no, but i wasnt aware that karma was considered un-Christian, lol.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• What popular culture thinks karma is, really isn't.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I feel like I'm giving karma power over God in a way....does that make sense to anyone else?

You're not giving karma power over god. God gave us free will...he knows that our actions all have reactions. He made it that way on purpose...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:11 AM on Jun. 9, 2011