Has anybody ever applied for low income housing?

I work full time and finacially my head doesnt stay above water. its been hard and my lease is up in august. i keep trying different ways but i get so lost. i wanted to apply for low income housing but have no idea how. I just want a place where my baby can sleep at night.

skullys29

Asked by skullys29 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• All the section 8 waiting list are closed around me. However there are a few community housing options that are availible. DOnt' forget to look into those as well. We are currently on a waiting list for community housing in a city near us.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I've never applied, but when my EX and I were still married and he was on workers comp I called about it, the waiting list in our area was 3 years! Honestly if you qualify it will still be a long time before it would kick in, so I would look into a less expensive place when your lease is up!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Thats what scares me. The waiting list are ridiculous. It makes me a lil frustrated and angry I wont lie. Its just hard. There has to be some kind of other help, ya know?
    skullys29

Comment by skullys29 (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Also try looking up, income based housing as well as low-income houseing. I was able to find a 3 bedroom for 675 near us. I just had to look REALLY hard.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:22 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have been looking into that also. I have a hard time finding places in my area. A lot of nice low income housing for seniors lol. Not for me though.
    skullys29

Comment by skullys29 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Go to HUD and call their main office. They should be able to tell you if there is HUD housing and/or apts that take Section 8 w/o you having to apply for it AND the apt seperately, its in one application. Thats what we are in. We've been in HUD and the apts and I like the apartments better. They charge less! And its only until were done with college. We make $700 a month and our rent is $158 and the apt is SUPER efficient. For all of last month our electric is $55 :) So we can actually afford our car insurance :) Just call the HUD office near you and they can explain the workings of it in your state. Their numbers are on their website,
    http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/localoffices
    Good Luck mama :) and I hope things look up for you :)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 11:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Did you have to go to there offices or did they mail you an application? Did it take long for you to get in onr?

Thank you things will get better. Just sometimes it has to be bad for it to be good. :-)
    skullys29

Comment by skullys29 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• When I was a single mom of 3 I called and they told me the waiting list could be up to 8 years. I didn't even bother applying, because I knew by then I would be doing okay (less than 6 months later I was finished with school and making 50K/year so it worked out)

Answer by missanc at 2:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I currently live in low incme housing through the housing authority, but it took me 6 months to get in! My advice, if you want to get into low income, make sure you have ample time to spare, our house went into foreclosure, and we got in, just in the knick of time, had it been 1 month later, we would have been out on he street, and it does take time to get into them!
    babygrlsmommy

Answer by babygrlsmommy at 2:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Thats the cross road I am at now. We are trying to figure something out now while we wait for the application to go thru. The one place was 16 months. Sometimes I have to wonder though, who really needs the help and who is just lounging off of it. I know that may sound mean. But people really need that help, that little bit. Did I make any sense? LOL
    skullys29

Comment by skullys29 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2011