Spin off of smoking question-Do you think it will ever be illegal to smoke in a public place where there are pregnant women and many children present? Do you think it SHOULD be illegal?

My hubby and I went to an outdoor flea market in a different area that we'd never been to before last weekend. Kid you not, EVERY single vendor was smoking and puffing out in the faces of everyone who was browsing their merchandise. I am pregnant and we had our 1 year old with us, and I was sincerely wishing that it was illegal to smoke in a situation like that. Not only is it dangerous and gross, they are smoking all over the things they are trying to get people to buy, and rudely blowing smoke all over the people who might buy it. I heard one older couple say "I'm never coming here again. Everything is covered in smoke and everyone is so rude!" I had to agree with them. We went looking for a double stroller in the older style ( I hate those new "sit and stand" double strollers, and can't find anyone selling anything else!). I'm NOT going to buy your nicotine stinking, yellowed stroller, thank you very much.

I understand that smoking is an addiction, really, I get it. I've heard it soooo many times from smokers. I know it's hard to quit. But it isn't impossible.

P.S. The man who lived under us has been in the hospital for 2 weeks because he smoked a pack a day for his entire life. Every time the medical supply truck pulls up with his new oxygen tanks, I think "Why would anyone even start smoking with that kind of example of what it does to you?" Yet people start smoking every day, giving cancer to themselves and to others who don't even smoke. My Dad's uncle smoked a pack a day his whole life as well. He is totally healthy. He quit after finding out that his wife ( who never smoked a single time in her life) had lung cancer from his second hand smoke. She died less than a year after they found it. He adored his wife, worshiped her every move, and he killed her.

I am an advocate for not smoking. I would love for it to be made illegal. I wouldn't care at all if smokers were only giving cancer to themselves. More power to 'ya. But I don't want cancer, I don't want my husband to have cancer, and I sure as Hell don't want my children to have cancer.

So go ahead and be angry, smokers. You have no right to kill other people with your cigarettes, and I'm not afraid to tell you so.

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Health

• No, I don't think it should be illegal. Just like I don't think it should have been made illegal here for private businesses to allow smoking in their own privately owned business. I don't smoke and neither does my husband, but it seems to me that it is a slippery slope. Once one inroad is made into people's liberty it sets a precedent and other inroads follow. It bothers you that people smoke, so it is made illegal. Next thing we know, it bothers another person that someone breastfeeds in public so it is made illegal. I have a son with asthma, and smoke really bothers him, but I would never decide that it should be illegal for people to smoke in public areas.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 11:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• well although the smoke is smelly and annoying to non-smokers, it's NOT killing them if they are normally healthy adults, now second hand smoke causes problems when a non-smoker is around it daily, in a closed area. Now with all that. I do think that smokers have a responsibilty. When I have a cigarette, I do it well away from those I know that are non smokers. I dont' even smoke around my husband.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:28 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Here it is illegal to smoke outside except in designated areas, with in so many yards of a store entrance or inside a restaurant or other public building.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:18 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Well I know the question your refering too. I think that it should be in designated areas in all outdoor public places. I think that is should be illegal in places of business, with the exception of nightclubs,, and I smoke! It isn't my right to inflict my habit on others, I only smoke outside at night,,,don't even ask,, just a ritual thing,, LOL! I do think that an employer demanding for someone to quit or face firing is wrong, as long as it is legal, I don't think they have the right to fire someone because of it.. Perhaps next they will outlaw shoving twinkies down your throat! LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:23 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• it is illegal to smoke in New York in public places.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:16 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yeah here in NY you can't smoke in such places!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Ok here is my view and you probably will not like it. I thought this way even when I wasn't a smoker. Smoking has become such a huge deal to many americans and the americans that choose to smoke are losing their rights to. The way I look at it is you have a choice to go into the public places that there are smokers present. If you don't like it, you don't have to be there.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• While it is a smoker's right to choose to smoke, it is NOT the right of anyone to do something that is harmful to other people. I'm sorry zakysmommy, but you are wrong. Smoke can cause cancer in normal, healthy adults, even if they are only around it infrequently. There are some new studies showing that even third hand smoke ( on clothing, toys or other objects) can also cause cancer. I think smoking altogether is too dangerous to non smokers to be legal. I really don't care that smokers think they have the right to smoke. Alcoholics think they have the right to drive while they are drunk. Both kill other, innocent people.
    alphamom26

Comment by alphamom26 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Alcohol is also dangerous to nondrinkers. How many people are killed in accidents by drunk drivers? How many domestic disputes are caused by alcohol? We should bring back complete prohibition (I need a sarcasm font).
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 12:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Other_mother, not all people who drink drive or beat their spouses (in fact, I drink on occasion to keep from killing my MIL), but I have yet to see a smoker who didn't exhale. I would love to see smoking banned in public places. I hate going to the park and having a smoker light up next to me, or being stopped at a red light and having to smell cigarette smoke or what about those who smoke in line at the drive through or right outside the restaurant's doors?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2011