How can I tell if my Husband his Diabetis?

I am asking this becouse he thinks only he has it.
And yes this Tulsa Heat only makes him think he has it worse.
Our dr. wont say yes or no.
She said get a metter.
But he dose not show any of the signs.
What do you all think?
Becouse my 13 year old acts the same way and I wonder if he could have it too. But the are both not heavy.
What do you all think?

newathis918

Asked by newathis918 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• He needs to have a glucose tolerance test. It's really the only way to know for sure.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:44 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Perhaps the best way is for him to see his doctor and get tested.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:56 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• He needs to be tested. If his Dr won't do it then find a different Dr.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Get a different doctor who a can actually give you the answers you need.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 12:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• He needs to see an Endocrinologist for that answer. Unaddressed Diabetes can cause many permanent health issues. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I just saw my doctor for this in April- and she had them do a blood draw. I did not have to drink the glucose solutions - I had fasted from the night before so they took a 'fasting reading' on me. Your hubby should go for a checkup and have blood drawn. Then once they get the labwork back they can tell him if he has it, or if his sugars look a bit high - indicating that he may be considered 'at risk' for developing it. Then it would be a good idea for him to see a nutritionist to work on a healthy eating plan -- watch portion sizes, make good food choices and count carbs. If he is overweight then exercising and loosing weight would really help! If your son is overweight and you fear he is at risk for diabetes then I would suggest you do the same for him as well-- blood test, nutritionist and make the proper lifestyle changes.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• He needs a blood test!
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Dose Excessive water drinking, Peeing, and Not being able to sleep make him a diabetic?
    He stopped eating candy, chips, and sweets, Months ago about the time the twins were born but he dose not get the shakes or get hungry like I would see a diabetic do.
    Could it be this Summer Heat?
    We live near Tulsa, Oklahoma so it is hot out here.
    newathis918

Comment by newathis918 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• excessive thirst, weight loss, peeing are signs of diabetes. If the doctor told him to get a meter he should and if you are worried about the 13 year I suggest testing too. Diabetes, even borderline isn't something to just be skeptical or only midlly concerned about and not all people have all symptoms.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011