How do I get my 5 yr. old to poop on the potty?

My daughter has not had a peepee accident since she was 2 1/2 yrs. old. However, it is literally been a daily battle to get her to go poop on the potty. I have tried to be understanding and explain that I know accidents happen, but they just keep happening, and more often. I have tried making her wash out her own panties, explaining the health issue as well, and that the kids at school are going to make fun of her if they smell her but to no avail. If I make her sit on the potty and tell her she isn't getting up until she goes, she doesn't sit there but maybe 5 minutes and she is done. I don't know how to make it important enough to her to make her stop what she is doing, quit being lazy, and just go when she knows she has to go. She doesn't even try to clean up or anything. Her room is practically empty from everything I've taken away. What else can I do short of spanking her every time it happens?

mcsqrd

Asked by mcsqrd at 9:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would probably take her to a Dr. This is way too old for this to be happening.
    Anonymous

• To get my daughter pottytrained I did the chart thing. I used quarters, she was trained in a week. Try to do that instead of spanking, there could really be something going on, have you tried to ask her why she doesn't want to?
    Anonymous

• Ha...she sounds just like my daughter did. Stubborn and driving you insane. I think mine knew how crazy I was going and did whatever she could to get attention. Good OR bad. What you can try is to make it into a game. Instead of punishing her, have fun with it. Make her feel like it is HER choice in going. I can pretty much guarentee, once she does it at school, that will probably be the last time she does it.
    TylersMom323

Answer by TylersMom323 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• After ruling out medical problems I would just let the issue drop.
    She will do it when she is ready.
    Anonymous

• I told my daughter that it was her job to put her poop in the potty, and if she wanted to pick it up off the floor first, that was fine by me.

I helped her the first time - showed her how to use toilet paper to pick up the poop. (And, actually, I think I had to hold her hands and FORCE her to pick it up).

She acted like it was a game for 2 days. By day 4 she HATED doing it, and I had to stand in the doorway and not let her leave the bathroom until she picked it up.

by day 5 she decided it was easier to sit on the potty and put it in there directly.

I did not make her wash out her underwear because doing the laundry is still my job. Besides, I knew she'd think playing in the toilet was fun. (grrrrr! kids!)

Good luck. Whatever you do, be absolutely consistent and DO NOT GIVE IN.
    devante9901

Answer by devante9901 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• we struggled w/ the pooping, too. i bought really cool panties, and if she pooped in them, into the trash they went. idk how much it really helped, but eventually she got the point. i still do the same thing when she fails to wipe properly. i will not attempt to clean underwear w/ a layer of poop on it. gl!
    imamom

Answer by imamom at 9:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2008