Herpes adult content

Is it possible to not contract herpes from someone you are in a relationship with? I came up clean but have been in a relationship for 5 years and my partner has a sore on his penis. It might be from rough sex but I am thinking about asking him to get it checked out if it doesn't go away. So my question is can you sleep with someone and not get herpes if they have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Health

• regardless if you have an open soar or not, they can test for herpes 1 & 2 very easily. You either have the virus or you don't. If your tests come out clean, then you should be OK. Herpes only has a 2 week incubation period, so if he has herpes...it would have shown up on your tests you had done at your gyno.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Use condoms and have him get checked
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 12:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yeah, that stuff stays with you for LIFE! When it breaks out, usually something triggers it, I'd refrain from any sexual contact until it clears up. Did you just find this out or neglect to discuss your prior sexual history or any complications that it could bring into the relationship. An old boyfriend had it and told me after 7mos of dating, he decided not to tell me because it would change the relationship. So, he thought that our relationship was more important than my health and well being. So I got checked and with a clean bill of health, turned and dumped him for lying or not being responsible enough to share a life changing STD. He's lucky I didn't cut it off! LoL
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• We talked about it. We hit a rough patch a few years ago and we both dated other people for a little bit. Now he says nothing happened with the girl but you can never be sure you know? I got checked for STD's probably 4-6 weeks ago (I can't remember the exact date) and I came up clean for everything. Now he's never had a sore like this before. That is why I was thinking it is just from rough sex. If it is herpes, he's gone. That means he's cheating.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You have to specifically tell them you want to be tested for herpes. They do not check for it unless you tell them. Does it look like an ulcer? It could be possible that you didn't get it. But even if the end result is that you have it, it is more common than you think and can be controlled with medicine. Good luck to you...
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes they specifically tested for herpes. The only thing that it showed was the cold sore form of herpes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It doesn't necessarily mean he IS cheating. Herpes can lie dormant in the body for several years. A cold sore is a form of herpes and I haven't had one in over 10 years. I would ask him to get tested, just to be on the safe side.
    chaslee

Answer by chaslee at 12:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011