CDing Help needed badly!!!!

Okay I think I am washing my cloth diapers all wrong! And I need help!

I know you do a cold wash cycle, then a hot wash cycle, then a final cold rinse cycle. My question is do I put soap in to both wash cycles or just the cold wash?

My first batch of CD have retained so much oder it is unreal. My son got new diapers for his birthday and I have been washing the same way but I only put soap in the first wash (cold wash) and not in the second (hot) as well. I have noticed that when they go through the hot wash there is still a lot of suds in there.

Should I continue to only put soap in the first wash only?

Or am I completely off base? I could really use some help!!!

Oh and I was also using a lot of soap with the first diapers, but have started only using a couple tablespoons.

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would definately not put soap in both washes.

My wash routine is to do a cold rinse, then hot wash w/ soap, cold rinse, cold rinse.

You might need to strip your diapers, it sounds like you have build up.
    Taviesmommy

Answer by Taviesmommy at 12:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I took the older ones to the laundromat ands did hot wash cycles with no soap for like 3 hours one day, and still nothing. I need to get this down pat because when I have this new baby I do not want to have to start figuring it out when I am dead on my feet with a new born.
    MamaCass05

Comment by MamaCass05 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you are not already a member, you should join Cuties With Cloth Booties - there are a lot of women there that might be able to help you.

Did you still have bubbles after all those cycles? What kind of soap do you use?
    Taviesmommy

Answer by Taviesmommy at 3:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• What you need to do is go to RockinGreen detergents facebook page and post your problem on their wall and they will help you with the right trpe of detergent you need. First you need to get those diapers stripped. You can do that with RockinGreen soap, they have the directions on the detergent bag. They have different types of detergent for different water types. if you have hard water then they have a hard water detergent, if you have soft water then they have a soft water detergent. You enter your zip code on their website and they will tell you what kind of water you have. stripping you diapers is basically soaking your diapers in their detergent overnight and then rinsing them 3-4 times afterwards. Once you get them stripped then your washing routine should be this: a cold water rinse with the highest water setting(not a wash cycle), a hot water wash with 1 T detergent, and then an extra cold water rinse(not wash).
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• CONTINUED FROM LAST RESPONSE-
    Do you have a top loader machine or a front loader machine? If you have a top loader you only need about 1T detergent, if you have a front loader you will need less than 1T detergent. What type of detergent are you using because some detergents cause build up and will keep making you diapers smell. It took me months to figure out a washing routine with the right amounts of detergent. The ONLY detergents that I have found that dont cause rashes or build up is Rockingreen or Country Save. I usually wash 8-10 diapers at a time and never let them sit in a diaper pail for more than 2 days. Good Luck and feel free to message me more questions you may have.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you have a FL machine, you're spot on with your washing routine EXCEPT put the detergent in the HOT wash. The first cold wash is to rinse all the nasty stuff out of the diapers. If you have a TL machine, cold rinse- hot wash- extra cold rinse, detergent in hot wash. I find that since my kids have very strong pee and I have hard water, I have to bleach everything that's not waterproof once or twice a month. That keeps the stink away.
    dixie383

Answer by dixie383 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• You are never supposed to use Bleach!! It can be very irritating if it isnt completely rinsed out, and it can destroy some of the newer pocket diapers with the PLU lining.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 3:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2011