How do i start to ween my son from the breast

i have a 7 1/2 month old son and everyone in my fmaily keep telling me i need to quit breastfeeding i ignorded them up till now i want to stop i love my son and i want to be able to let my boyfriend help more now so i really dont know how to stop

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 16 months when I stopped. I just stopped and it took only 3 days and nights of crying but after that he was just fine. Good luck.
    ncmamaof4a

Answer by ncmamaof4a at 10:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i think after six months thats plenty of time. but that i just how i feel. its really up to you
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It's best for both of you to do it gradually over a period of weeks. Start by replacing one feeding per day with a bottle. Once he has had a few days or a week to get used to it, replace another feeding. And so on until you have completely switched over.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• when you go to the bottle, make sure someone else is feeding your baby and you're not in the room. if you're in the room, your baby will smell you and know you're there, so he'll start crying until you feed him. when i babysat for a breastfed baby, i had to give him formula. he cried at first, but he ended up taking it when he was finally hungry enough. they won't starve themselves, if they're hungry, they'll eat it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Drop a feeding a week till gone. Be aware that baby likely won't cooperate. And do you really trust your boyfriend to help? **grin** They often say one thing and do another...

Your family gets NO say in how long you nurse, BTW. And you should be aware that there are many benefits to nursing to the second birthday. How does a 50% reduction in breast cancer risk strike you?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• There are MANY ways of your boyfriend helping more and being very involved with the baby without forcibly weaning. If you're interested please feel free to ask (here, PM or chatterbox).

It is a total myth that in order for a father to help or bond with his child he must help with feedings.

The AAP recommends nursing for a minimum of 12 months and then as long as mother and child wish. The WHO recommends a minimum of 24 months. I'm not sure why your family is pressuring you to stop now, but generally people do that out of ignorance or social stigma...neither of which is best for baby.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• u could try putting something that taste realy bad but is safe on ur breast,like vinager or something
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think the biggest issue here is: do YOU want to stop? I think it's extremely unfair for you and your baby to stop simply because your family feels you should. Your boyfriend can help in many other ways, there is no need to sacrifice your breastfeeding relationship.

In any case, good luck with whatever decision you make! Whatever you do: don't stop cold turkey!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2008