Simple solution? About smoking...

E-cigarettes!

I sampled one when I did smoke and I liked it. What causes all these health problems when it comes to smoking? It's not really the nicotine, it's all the chemicals in the tobacco. Take that all away and you can still get your nicotine fix. And you still get the hand to mouth thing that gum and patches can't quell. Nothing but water vapor to non smokers and apart from the initial cost of the kits and batteries it's way cheaper than buying cigarettes. You can even get them with NO nicotine whatsoever, just the flavor and feeling of smoking a cigarette.

Who would argue?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• so do the e-cigs taste like real cigs? I have thought about investing in one but didn't know if it was worth it or not.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I have one. It doesn't taste like a cigarette or hit the back of the throat like a real cigarette IMO (could be the brand?) but I still love it!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I might just get one then and try it, what could it hurt? and if it does the job think of the money I could save!!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It's not QUITE the same, but it does the job. It's something that I think smokers culd easily get used to. I still want one. I admit I quit smoking more for financial reasons than health ones. I ENJOYED the act of smoking. And e cigarettes don't ake that away
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Do they stink like regular cigarettes and do they put the same toxins in the air (as in second hand smoke)? If the answer to both of these is no, then they sound great.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I've seen people with these, and I think they are awesome. Scout, both answers are no. Its just water vapor, so you don't stink, and neither does anyone around you.

I have heard they don't taste like a regular cig (of course not, they don't have the same chemical make up...ie toxins).

This coming from a non-smoker, though. So everything I've heard hasn't been personal experience, but from someone I semi-knew that had worked at the local mall (he had one).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Scout mom all there is is nicotine, that goes directly to the smoker, and water vapor, which they do exhale so it may stink if they've been eating garlic lol or they just have bad breath.
    As for the flavor thing, I tried menthol and it was kind of a fakey menthol taste. If you ever tried those Camel crush cigarettes, it was something like that. But you could get chocolate or strawberry or something completely new and find that you like it.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Do they stink like regular cigarettes and do they put the same toxins

The answer to both is no. The FDA has been all over them trying to shut down the vendors, but the SCOTUS kicked the FDA, and kicked them hard. The vapor from an e-cig is identical to the vapor from the machines they use to make fog at concerts. Nothing but water vapor with flavoring added to it. Nicotine is added in small quantities you can step down as you choose. It is never exhaled. Even if you choose never to wean off the nicotine completely, it has none of the risks of smoking or chewing tobacco. It's not the actual nicotine that does damage in those, it's all the other chemicals.

That said, if anyone is going to try it, do NOT try the overpriced, horrible quality kind they sell at tobacco stores or 7-11 (they don't want you to switch - more profit on tobacco). Research online, so you don't get ripped off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• As for taste - there are literally thousands of flavors out there. Many of them are variations on tobacco flavors, and while some are crap (see the ones sold at 7-22 and tobacco stores), there are some that come pretty close. They can't get it exactly, because part of that flavor is from the burning. Also, once you quit smoking, your damaged nasal passages and tastebuds start to regrow, so everything tastes different, and that makes it harder. That said, there are quite a few that approximate the taste. The best way I've heard it described is they taste the way a new pack smells when you open it.

There is one company out there that does menthol well, can't think of the name off hand, but DH would know it if he were home. The real market is in the other flavors, though. Grape, apple pie, pizza - you name it. If you can taste it, someone's made a flavor of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• My son quit smoking using those.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011