• In the Spotlight:

I need your help...

My step daughter went to the bathroom (bowel movement) and did not wash her hands. I reacted and told her firmly that I was going to be thinking about not taking her to get her ears pierced. My husband then comes in and tells me to not make it a big deal and not to yell at her like that. I'm seriously tired of his BS whenever it comes to this. How am I supposed to not react when she's TEN YEARS OLD and knows better? What would you all suggest I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't say that not getting her earsed pierced is a punishment for not washing her hands. Explain to her that getting her ears pierced requires special attention like washing. She could show you that she is responsible enough to take care of herself. Say that you are just worried that she might get an infection.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• lighten up. i mean your not going to take her to get her ears pierced cuz she didnt wash her hands? seriously?
    Anonymous

• hmm instresting.. talk to your hubby.. and let him know that it bugs you that he contratics you. and to anon.. not washing your hands is discusting! eww think of the germs!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It is hard to parent children when mother and father disagree.  My husband and I have agreed to back off when one of us is disciplining our son.  If we dont agree with something we are saying to him or how we react to something, we save it for when we are alone.  Then we talk to eachother about how each one of us would react to it and why we feel it is important to react or just let it go.  Compromise and understand eachother.  I would have done the same thing though.  I would let my husband know why i feel its important to wash hands after going to the bath room and that i needed to do soemthing that would make an impact on him for him to remember next time.  Parenting is soooo hard!!  good luck, i think the key is compromising.

sillymommy1206

Answer by sillymommy1206 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• kids dont wash their hands all the time,kids eat boogers and dirt alot of things they do are gross and disgusting but i suppose your children never did any of that?
    Anonymous

• my kid is 2 years old and freaks out any time something is on his hand or cant wash his hand after he uses the potty. Cause i tought him to wash his hands every time he goes to the potty. its all in the teaching...yea, kids do things like that MR. ANONYMOUS but you are supposed to teach them not to!
    sillymommy1206

Answer by sillymommy1206 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Two the two anons:
    1. Not washing your hands causes germs/bacteria/viruses (look it up before you comment)
    2. Nobody said anybodys kids didnt do it.

I am the writer of the question.
    I have a 1 year old daughter that my step daughter loves to hold and touch, what about her health issues?
    My husband is thick headed and acted like nothing was wrong with her not washing her hands. He wont ever sit down to listen to what I have to say and always pushes my thoughts away.
    Anonymous

• okay to anon number two.. my child is two and i wash his hands like every ten min.. specially if he's outside!

to the anon that posted this question, you need to be blunt and assertive with him its the only way to have a good parenting style.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would have told her that she needs to always wash her hands after she uses the bathroom. Or I would have said don't you think that you forgotten something? I would not take ear piercing away from her for that.

Children are forgetful they don't always think I have to always remind my son and he is 9 years old.

sweetsmo

Answer by sweetsmo at 10:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would discuss good hygiene with her. I don't think not washing her hands is grounds for punishment though. That's a bit bizarre. I'm a germaphobe, but even this sounds over-the-top to me!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2008