Should we charge our roommate for watching his kid while he's at work?

Cause she's going to be here for a month and we have to watch her during that month while he's at work cause he's not taking any time off. It's starting to irritate me a little because I'm sacrificing my time and managing three kids at once (two of mine and his). So should I tell him to pay me for it? He's only watched ONE of my kids ONCE for a couple hours and we didn't pay him for it, so that is why I'm asking.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 12:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes - your time is worth something. Draw up a contract so that everything is out in the open. Make it hourly.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would tell him if this is going to become I regular thing that you would appreciate some compensation since caring for an an extra child on a regular basis is not exactly easy! from there you can agree on a price. If he gets upset you can always remind him that he is your room mate and you are not his live in baby sitters.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes you should start charging him.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you watch this child everyday I would make him pay. Pluse back payment.

Answer by louise2 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would talk to him before she comes and say, I think it is really great that your daughter is coming to visit, if you would like me to take care of her while your at work, I will be happy to do so for $100 a week, if not I found some great places for you to take her on your way to work,, check into Y-care and stuff and have it ready for him.. I assume the fact you all live together means you are close? How did it come up that you were going to watch her? did he ask you? Now the only way you shouldn't charge him is if you are living there rent free or something.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If you're asking the question, then you already know the answer. Yes! If it was once a week or a favor in return, then no. But you are clearly upset and should be compensated for it. I think it's time to sit down and chat with him about this when he gets home. If you don't then you only have yourself to blame. Remember, he's getting paid at work while you watch his kids! What's wrong with that picture?...
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If they are taking advantage of you then it is no longer a roommate but your master as you are being treated like a servant. A favor from time to time is one thing but come on.. are you running a daycare.... if so I have four I can send ya...lol. Tell them you have family things that need to be done and they need to find care... then take your kids out ...even if just to the park for a picnic and play or come up with a fee for care then after the month is gone use it to do something with your family.
    Mommy_Aiken

Answer by Mommy_Aiken at 12:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes, you need to charge him.
    bellagracie82

Answer by bellagracie82 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Money has just always been a hard thing for me to ask about. I don't know why. Even when I worked at a store or something I always felt uncomfortable talking about how much I should be making or whatever. So this is a difficult issue for me to deal with. I'll just have my husband talk to him.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• yeahhh
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 12:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011