Filling Pool with a Well?

We live in the country and have a well for our water. We have had small kiddie pools over the past few summers for DD (5yo) and this year are thinking about getting a bigger pool...something like 12' round and 4' high. But yet it's not as if we can just stick a water hose over the side of the pool and fill it.

If you have a well and a bigger size pool...how do you fill it?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You will need to shut the water off every once in a while so that you don't burn up your pump. It could take you a few days to get the pool filled. I have heard of people getting the fire dept to fill it, but I don't know any details about that. But when I was a kid we had a well and it took a few days to fill up our big pool. Of course then you want to maintain the water year round so that you don't have to ever do a complete fill again.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i know many people that use their hose....it works, just takes a long while.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I work for a pool company...I suggest you take a sample of your water to one of your local pool companies and have them test it. They can give you further assistance once they know what the chemical makeup of your water is. Well water is usually very high in iron which is usually why they advise against using it in a pool....when the chemicals are added to your pool, they react with the iron creating rust causing the water to turn a brown color. You can call your local fire department and see if they will come out to fill your pool for a small fee possibly.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• We have well water for outside and city water for our inside. We always have had a small kiddie pool so no worries about filling it up. But we are considering a larger pool for this summer! I was thinking of calling the city...a few of my friends had told me to ask to see if the fire department would come fill it up. If they do, I'm sure thye'll charge but...I think it will be worth it.Last summer, our well actually went dry! LOL UGH.
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• All of us have well water here. I don't have a large pool but some of my neighbors do and when it comes to filling the pool it becomes a all day sometimes 2 day event. You basically fill for an hour then SHUT everything off for 1-2 hours to allow the pump to cool down. And repeat the cycle until the pool is completely filled.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes even if you have well water you still use the hose. It's just you can't let your water run for more then an hour at a time because you run the risk of burning up your water pump. You have to let the water pump cool down thus after running the water for an hour it's best to shut it off and give it an hour or two for the water pump to cool down. You just repeat the cycle until the pool is filled. That's why it's an all day sometimes two day event to fill the pool when you have well water.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• we had a well growing up and we also had a pool. we would pay a water company to come with a big truck to fill it up.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Last year we purchased a 27' round 5 deep pool, I wish we would have take longer to fill it because we dried up our well! The 1st day you have it fill it to about 2inches to let the liner set. (if there is one.) If not just for a hour or two. Then each day fill for another 3-5 hours until full.

GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Oh and yes....the water hose is how you do it. We have a big inground pool and when we had it filled it was done with a water hose.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011