Can't replace the siding on the house until Granny dies?

The siding on Granny's house is rotting off and when i suggested we get it replaced the family told me that we can't until Granny (who is 96) passes. None of them can give me a real reason as to why though..

What would be the reason not to get it replaced yet? Insurance doesn't cover it.. Property value? I have no idea, what do you ladies think?

I'm calling to have someone come give me a rough price to replace it and going to pass the price tag on to the family but before I do.. Why can't we replace it other than because no one wants to foot the bill?

P.S. when cafemom invents a grammar and punctuation check I'll use it, until then sorry!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can finance the siding, and I would talk to your family about chipping in on the monthly payment.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'm guessing they want to use some inheritance/insurance money to pay for it.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 12:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Perhaps "Granny" doesn't want it replaced.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Granny doesn't know it is in such bad shape.. she can't see or visit the house anymore and is in a nursing home 30 minutes from it. :-(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Is it even legal to have work done on someone elses house?
    Anonymous

• Yes, we have a POA (power of attorney) over the house and my uncle has one over her finances. We can have work done to the home when it's needed
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Maybe someone plans to take a match to it? remodel it? they dont want you to spend your time/money replacing something that might be in somebody else's name which would be why she needs to pass on first...?

sometimes family is greedy when it comes to these things, i know because that is how it is when my DH's grandma passed on, everybody hated the his brother and blamed his brother who moved into it right after grandma passed away apparently because "he was waiting and wanting for grandma to pass on in order to snatch up her house"
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• If nobody has power of attorney for her and the home is in her name you cannot legally do it without her fully conscious consent. Other family members say "No" and that makes me suspicious of their intent. Who does the house pass to when Granny passes?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Maybe, the house has been unoccupied for almost 6 years now and is only used as our lake house when we go fishing or need to get away. I just feel bad
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• The house might go to the nursing home when she dies so you might be improving their property and never get your investment back.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2011