For the Pagan mommas: Litha/Midsummer activities for kids?

Do any of you have Litha/Midsummer activities, crafts, prayers, etc (either for kids or families) to share?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 12:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• "keeping some of the Longest Day for the Longest Night"

That is such a beautiful thought. I'm not actually pagan, but I love this, would it be insulting to pagans for (nonbeliever) me to do this?
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 3:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Those Sand Candles are AWESOME!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I think help the kids make sun-catchers (like stained glass, but kid friendly) for their windows. :)
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• This year we are making Sun Decorations, and I think we'll make some "Solstice Candy" that I found on Youtube. We always do story time as well, but this year I think we will be doing a short celebration since my Son will be in school that day and my Daughter has a Dr. Apt...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'm leaning towards something at the beach...since I'm lucky like that (lol!). I'm thinking of maybe making sand candles, that we can keep for Yule--keeping some of the Longest Day for the Longest Night. But, I haven't decided on much else yet...
    thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Hmm... Interesting... I'll have to look up "sand candles" and see what they are... We live on a HUGE river, so there's lots of beach and sand. The heat is going to be an issue though! It's going to be over 100* today, and it's only going to get hotter... I hate living here! It's to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter... I have a window of about 6 weeks when I can get out and enjoy nature...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Sand candles are basically made by pouring wax into an impression in the sand...its handy to do at the beach, because its hot enough to melt the wax (with a little help from a solar oven and the greenhouse effect), but cool enough to set the wax down by the waves. I haven't done it in ages though...so we'll see how it goes!

thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Awesome! I'll check it out!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• would it be insulting to pagans for (nonbeliever) me to do this?

Nope. Seeing how most religious and secular traditions came out of Ancient Pagan traditions, it would be hard to start getting moody over something like that! If we did, we'd be angry all the time! So go for it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• It would absolutely not be insulting to use it!
    thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2011