Green Christians?

This may sound silly. Just a little thought I had. So lately, the theme seems to be "the end" or the world and many opinions have been religious based. Many have said they believe it will all end during their lifetime. If you believe the world will end with in 80 years (figuring the yougest is about 20 and might live to be 100), do you also believe in the reduce, reuse, recycle movement? I know the two are seperate. Just curious what it would mean from another point of view.

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think green is as much the issue as some of the people out there... Our world is falling apart, not just environmentally, but politically, emotionally, etc. I fear what kind of world my child will grow up in. But I know I will do my part to make her life the best I can.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I know quite a few Christians that don't really believe that recycling is going to make any difference in the outcome. They don't recycle.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• just because the world is ending doesn't mean you shouldn't recycle. we don't need the world more messed up than it already is, even if the end is near.
    Anonymous

• My hubby's aunt and uncle did not recommend their kids to go to college/university because of their belief that the end was imminent and that the time would better be spent preparing for the end of days. Of course the end still is not here and the 'kids' are now in their forties and wish they had gone to school because they are having a hard time finding good jobs when two of them do not even have their GED. I'm curious about the answer to this question because I've often wondered if people who believe in the imminent end of the world are putting away retirement money, saving for kids' college funds, recycling, paying off credit cards, etc. I hope people are recycling and being 'green' because it's my opinion that if the end DOES come it's because we're making our planet uninhabitable by virtue of our own resource consumption!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I believe we are to be good stewards of the earth, in doing what we can to not pollute or be wasteful, Also God said he would bring to ruin those ruining the earth, Revelation 11:18.  

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think that people should try to make the world a better place. Recycling is a good idea because God made the Earth and all other planets. Why not take good care of what God has given to us and be kind to the Earth? Life was a gift from God, I think that if we dont try to prolong it we are not appreciating what God has given to us.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Christians believe they are going to be taken to heaven in a rapture, so they can trash this one all they want. Bet they're gonna be surprised when it doesn't happen, and they are stuck here having to live with the mess they made.
    Anonymous

• good question. i do believe there will be an end to the earth. but when? i dont know. so why would i want to trash any more than i have to? i also believe in being a good steward to the earth that God created. it has looked like "the end" for a long time. even though there are now more biblical prophesies than ever coming true-the bible still says no one-not even the angels know when the end times will be. so take care of what God gave us. thats my take on it, anyway.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 11:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Yes, I believe "the end" as you call it or as I call it The Rapture when Jesus comes take care His children (all those who have trusted Him as their Lord and Savior) home. It could happen in my life time. It is closer today than yesterday or last year. No one knows the day or hour...
    But, as for as "green"....no aren't to worship the earth. We should take care of it; He did create it. But, not worship it.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• anon :14...first not all Christians believe in the rapture. second...are you implying that Christians are the only ppl who treat Earth like crap...i hope you arent that ignorant.

im a Christian & while the world will end one day for me (death) its no reason to not recycle, turn down the heat, drive less often, etc. just b/c we wont live on Earth forever is no reason to treat it like its not important! EVERYONE needs to treat our planet w/ respect no matter what their religion.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2008