Do you ever find that Religious Music from paths other than your own is still a perfect fit?

There was just a question about "What's your fav. Christian song/artist" and I said Tourniquet. It's one of my favorite songs, but it's blatantly Christian, there's no way around it... I mean, she screams Christ at one point... But it's one of those songs that just moves me, makes me want to get out and get motivated to do something to honor my Gods...

Sure, there are lots of Pagan songs out there that move me that way, but this is the best song of praise I've ever found and it's about a completely different path...

So I'm wondering if anyone else ever has songs that seem to help them feel connected or make them feel spiritual even though they are from a different Path? And what are they?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• To be perfectly honest the only 'religious' kind of music I have ever heard is Christian(I really like Fly Leaf)... I mean I may have heard other kinds I just didn't *know* it. I would be interested to hear other kinds though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'm LDS and I listen to all sorts of music, not just from my church. I think that "feeling" you get when you listen is what ties us all together.
    Anonymous

• oops didn't mean to post that anon! lol
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 1:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yes there are quite a few songs/artist from other paths that I greatly enjoy. I'll share a few of my faves.

Niyaz is one I really enjoy. The lyrics are in Farsi (the band is Iranian) and the lyrics stem from old school Sufi beliefs and the poetry of Rumi. Just a great combination and the music itself is great.

I love listening to Sikh Kirtan. "Kirtan" is, well the easiest/most common reference would be that "Kirtan" is the spiritual hymns (if you will) of the Sikhs. I love listening to Kirtan.

Loreena McKennitt I enjoy listening to as well.

Incubus Succubus. I enjoy listening to at times.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I still enjoy Christian songs from my upbringing. Like Amazing Grace, I Know That My Redeemer Lives, etc.

TOTALLY not songs from my path but still bring happy feelings when I hear them and occasionally I catch myself singing them or plinking them on my keyboard.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I still like Carman, DC Talk, Jars of Clay and many other mainstream Christian rock bands.

To me, music is music. If it has a good beat, I will give it a listen. I like most music EXCEPT sappy love songs, kiddie sounding music, old timey country/gospel music, bubble gum pop (Britney, Beiber, etc).
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• OMG, Amaranth, I LOVE Amazing Grace! I sing it to my kids all the time!

But I agree, Spirited, I love all kinds of Music, I don't really have a favorite kind. I do listen to a good bit of PRN, but only because that's what I get on my computer. And I listen to top 40 stuff in the car... But I love it all, even Britney! lol

Although, no matter the genre, I love powerful women the most - Cher, Reba, Pat Benitar, Evanescence, Katy Perry, Stevie Nicks... Love love love strong women!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I like religious holiday songs of all types...they're always so happy.

Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 2:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I still like a lot of Christian music, it's what I grew up on - dc talk, Audio Adrenaline, Jars of Clay, Jeremy Camp, Kutless etc., etc. I also love Hare Krishna music like Krishna Das. Anything Hebrew or Arabic is very moving to me (whether it is a religious song or not) and I don't even know what they are saying.

Cestlavie4

Answer by Cestlavie4 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Although, no matter the genre, I love powerful women the most - Cher, Reba, Pat Benitar, Evanescence, Katy Perry, Stevie Nicks... Love love love strong women! --op

amen, sister! i'm not a c/w fan at all, but i love to hear Sara Evans or Winona or even that 'big blonde' girl (i can never remember her name) who married Garth Brooks.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2011