Pumping Milk

Is there a time limit for how long you should pump for or can you pump for however long you want? I have been pumping until nothing comes out, but should i be watching the clock to make sure I don't go too long?

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 1:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No need to watch the clock unless you have to be somewhere. 15 minutes is usually just dandy. Less is fine. More is fine if you have the time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I pumped until i was dry unless i was at work and only had so long to pump but it was usually about 15 minutes.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• i pump until nothing comes out and then go for 5min longer! i was exclusively pumping so i needed to tell my body to make more!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I pump for 10 minutes and generally get 2 oz. from each breast. If I pump for 15 to 20 minutes, I'll get around 4 oz. per breast.

I now stop when I've reached 4 oz. per side, rather than looking at the clock...

GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2011