Over- protective ( reference to another question I seen on here )

And remember this question was asked about SMALL CHILDREN ( I think the oldest was kindergarten age ) ...

If a mom spends a ton of time with her SMALL CHILDREN, how is that a bad thing? I seen other moms talking down about a mom who takes a ton of pictures of her kids, who lets them sleep in her bed with her , and who said she is sad that her oldest child is going off to school for the first time...

Uh, why in the world would someone complain about this type of parenting? I much rather have an over protective mother than someone who tries to make her kids to independent too soon, or the ones who spend no time at all with their kids !

OBVIOUSLY someone has priorities messed up if they actually take time to complain about a mom who loves to be with her children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Thank you ! I've been telling that too ! this mom has nothing to do in her life !
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 1:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't consider a parent over protective who does those things. She's just a good parent. Over protective to me is holding their hand to cross the street when they are older (Teens). Or still picking out their cloths when they are old enough to do it themselves. Not allowing the natural progression of independence. That is a slow process, but it shouldn't be stopped all together by being over protective.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Loving your kids to pieces doesn't hinder independence or make you over protective!
    We all have different parenting styles and if it works for you, go for it!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• ofcourse there is nothing wrong with a mother wanting to be with her children. however, i love being with my daughter and she is only 2 but i also feel she needs to explore her world and learn things at this age rather then when she is school age. example. sleeping in her own bed or at least falling asleep on her own, ect. i have her sleep in my bed but she does sleep on her own. i think because i have the best of worlds i really don;t know. i know people that just protected their children way too much. i am not saying ignore them but kids are kids. they need breathing room too. that is my thoughts. i think as long as there is a healthy balance there is nothing wrong with being protectived of your children.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Spending time with your kids and loving them to pieces is one thing. When the kids do literally nothing by themselves, including sleep, some people will say that is taking it too far. It really is okay to have them play independently once in a while. That is not "making them be independent too soon". You don't have to agree and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just haven't seen a situation yet in which parents refuse to let their children do anything by themselves and it turned out well.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is any validity to the term "overprotective' when it comes to kids under 12 years old. that is a term that was meant for teenagers and young adults, who need autonomy to grow independent enough to support themselves at 18.

When moms bash other moms for caring for a young child, it is really a sad sign of the times . . .

a time where 'moms nights out' and "work dinners' and "me time' is valued over parenting.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• To me, the point of being a parent is to raise my kids to be fully functioning, indepedent adults. I don't see anything wrong with being a SAHM, or co-sleeping, or being sad when your child goes to school for the first time. That said, some (certainly not all) moms who do these things are also overprotective and have built their entire lives around their children. That is unhealthy.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I dont know why that would be a bad thing because the mothers who dont spend enough time with their children the kids grow up to hate them in life
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yeah, if she thinks a loving, concerned parent is a BAD mother, I worry SO MUCH for that woman's children.
    I mean, what, did she just prop up the bottle, sleep train at 2 weeks, put them in daycare all day at 3 months?
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 3:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I'd say it's involved parenting, not overparenting.
    I'm pretty involved in my kids days but they are independant too. I think indepedance is a valuable trait to teach children. My kids can get breakfast themselves in the morning, sure they make a mess but they're learning. And let me tell you that is a handy skill to have when their baby brother is looking for breakfast too!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2011