Thinking of possible changes that can be made.....

I know it summer and all, but does that really mean my kids should be free and clear of all household chores? I think NOT!!!!! My 15 year old has been lazy this whole week. Everyday, I have had two loads of laundry to wash and fold and he has just watched me without lifting a finger. I am to the point where I feel like saying something gets me nowhere considering that I am back to square one the next day. Same thing today....I have a load of laundry ready to be folded and he walks right by and could care less that I have to do it alone. He threw a fit last night about having to load the dishwasher and the night before about having to sweep the dining room. One solution I have come up with for the laundry is that I will no longer wash his clothes. When he comes to me saying he has no clean clothes, well, that's what he gets. Why should I help him if he wont help me? Now I'm just trying to figure out solutions for everything else.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• That's the way to start, my son does his own laundry and he is 17. He has been doing laundry for over 3 years now and I tell him if you cook then you clean up your mess.
    I clean up after myself and my husband and my son cleans up after himself but i have to tell him to do the dish's. They need to learn your mom not the maid. Stop doing for him unless you have too i still cook and other mommy duties but that is it.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• So what is he doing all day then? He needs to do chores around the house before he gets to go out with friends, watch tv, get on the computer, use his cell, whatever it is that enjoys doing. You need to tell him what he should be doing, don't expect him to feel bad because you're doing chores around the house while he sits on his butt. It doesn't matter that he wasn't raised by you- kids are very adaptable and they'll conform to whatever rules you set up for them. You just need to be clear about what you expect of him and stick to your word.
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Dad needs to step in and help you talk to him so you arent the mean old step mom.
    Anonymous

• His father needs to step in and talk to him.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I did MORE chores during the summer as a teen because I was home more and had more free time and also because me being home more meant more mess: more dishes (since I would eat lunch at home instead of at school), more stuff around the house, then also I had friends over more too. I would tell him he needs to do his own laundry. Give him one day a week to do it where you don't use the washer or dryer at all that day. Also, he should be doing chores to earn privileges, he wants to go to the movies with his friends and needs a ride/ money, well I guess he better do a couple chores for you.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Stop washing his clothes and he will soon change his attitude. Stop making him meals, stop taking him places until he helps out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Been there, done that! He was not raised by me....I am his stepmom and he just moved in with us 2 years ago. I have tried everything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• For complaing on the dishes you should make him eat off the samed plate hes eatin off that should surly change his mind!!!
    for not sweeping yould should ground him of all privelages!!! For every other problem take something away for a month and lock it in something and keep the key with you at all times cause you no how sneeky they can get!!!! So best wishes!!! And also it worked me and i diont even have to ask anymore!!!! Shell even do chores thats she never has been asked. :)
    Jellowantsyou

Answer by Jellowantsyou at 1:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I would speak to his father about him getting a summer job! I think that it is reasonable for both of you to have a list of what you expect him to do and have a chore assignment,, Now that being said your kid or not,, I don't know many teens who would just up and "offer" to help.. have him mow yards!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• Yep, this is dad's problem.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2011